Critique on Photos and how to find my "eye" for photography

Purple Iguana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For whatever reason, the photos won't upload on this forum. So here they are on google drive:
Random Photos - Google Drive

I've kind of stopped trying to progress with photography because I don't know where I should be going with it and how to improve. Any help here? General critique is welcomed.

Attachments

• 12642480_958007770913448_1082998563989630200_n.jpg
    12642480_958007770913448_1082998563989630200_n.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Well, as far as things you could do to improve, a few of the shots just need a little leveling. Tiny technical details like that don't seem like a big deal, but they can make a big difference in your photos. Like the spikey ball on the floor. I'm so distracted by the tilted baseboard.

Also, portraits are the (small) majority of photos you have up here and one of them is your strongest photo of the bunch (the one you used for your avatar here). So, maybe you already have a direction to focus on but your body of work isn't big enough to really see it? I don't really know that, but it's my conjecture. In any case, you don't progress or find out what you want to do without just going out and constantly photographing. Painters do painting-a-day challenges, illustrators do sketchbook challenges, and photographers do photo challenges where they get out every day for x-days and shoot.

For whatever reason, the photos won't upload on this forum. So here they are on google drive:

I've kind of stopped trying to progress with photography because I don't know where I should be going with it and how to improve. Any help here? General critique is welcomed.
To know where you want to go, you have to find out what you like to shoot. ;) That could be a subject, or it could be a genre. What do you like to shoot? What makes you want to pick up the camera?

To know where you want to go, you have to find out what you like to shoot. ;) That could be a subject, or it could be a genre. What do you like to shoot? What makes you want to pick up the camera?
I really do like shooting people. Maybe not just studio portraits, but something with some kind of feel or authenticity to it (not to say that studio portraits don't have any feeling...but hopefully you get where I'm coming from haha).

First step is to surf (do we still say surf the web ?) on online photography sites to look for pictures that you find extraordinary. Example portrait, landscape, underwater .. whatever.
Next go out and see if you like the processes involved in taking the pictures. You might love landscapes but hate all the walking/hiking involved. At some point you will find what style you love and what you like shooting. Hopefully for you, these two will coincide.

I've kind of stopped trying to progress with photography because I don't know where I should be going with it and how to improve.
Basically your saying you're not a creative.
+1 regarding - Look at lots of other photographs to see what is possible.

Add depth to your understanding regarding technical aspects of doing photography.
Make sure you have a good grounding in the fundamentals - metering, control of depth-of-field, use of exposure & flash compensation, white balance, dynamic range, native and non-native ISO, etc.
Look for ways others have used light quality and direction to advantage in their photographs.
Learn about how to use flash to create a lighting ratio between your subject and the background.
Learn about the variety of lighting styles - split, loop, Rembrandt, broad, butterfly, short - and include them in non-studio settings or on location.
Learn about shutter/flash synchronization and how with a single shutter release we are able to control the exposure of ambient light separately from the light from a flash.

Do you like it? That's the thing, liking something enough to spend hours at it.

I think maybe you're better than you think. I'd suggest when you're out taking pictures like the tree, move around and look at the subject from slightly different vantage points and think about how you're framing. I see what you were going for and for me didn't quite nail it but it's close. The balance of the composition is what probably needed to be a little different. Think about the lines and shapes, the tree trunk is a large vertical shape and needs to be balanced with the rest of the image (and that top left corner bugs me, I'd rather see more space there or none, my instinct is to want to take a step to the left).

I do that, roam a bit and keep reframing and looking thru the viewfinder and then I see 'it' - the picture. Sometimes I can't quite get it, roam around some more, maybe take pictures of something else, then I'll turn and see it, what I couldn't get before, it's like the light bulb goes on. I've been a photographer forever so by now it just seems second nature and when I see the shot, I know it. But it's really from years and year of taking pictures.

Seems to me if you learned more about composition, you're on the right track. Such as IUNoir, great seeing something interesting, but there are almost two pictures there, the kiosk and the right side with the bikes and the curved lines going off to the right. Nice potential there for a number of different photos actually, and the good thing is you're seeing that, now it's a matter of continuing to practice and learn.

With the portrait, I'd make sure if there are lines in the background like with this brick, think about either getting the lines straight, or if you go for an angle think about how to frame it. And how much space is best, to the left of her, how much of her to have in the frame, The B&W from the back works because of the hat and the head turned to the left, but with this one it's necessary to notice the background. It takes practice to get so you can frame a subject and keep the background in your peripheral vision and keep an eye on other people moving in and out of a scene. I got so I can shoot with both eyes open and close my eye long enough to focus//shoot. But I didn't exactly get to that point overnight.

I like spiky ball, that has great texture, and I'd keep working on that one, set it up a bunch of times and see what you can get. Maybe the ball a little closer to the doorway? And notice the pattern in the floorboard that's in the center bottom of the picture, that adds texture and interest so think about how to work that into your composition. That and the shadow of the ball, do we want to see all of that? part of it? Maybe adjust the contrast in B&W too a little.

I agree the first one's really nice. Whether you know it or not you seem to have an eye for pattern and texture. I'd think about a very slight crop of that one, the right side where there's a faint edge of the wall, same with the top and the ceiling. Which is getting nit picky but it would 'clean up' the composition.

Didn't mean to go on so long but I got really into looking at these. I feel like I see what you were going for with all of these and if you keep at it you could keep getting better and better at framing and composing. I see potential in you.

I've kind of stopped trying to progress with photography because I don't know where I should be going with it and how to improve.
Basically your saying you're not a creative.
+1 regarding - Look at lots of other photographs to see what is possible.

Add depth to your understanding regarding technical aspects of doing photography.
Make sure you have a good grounding in the fundamentals - metering, control of depth-of-field, use of exposure & flash compensation, white balance, dynamic range, native and non-native ISO, etc.
Look for ways others have used light quality and direction to advantage in their photographs.
Learn about how to use flash to create a lighting ratio between your subject and the background.
Learn about the variety of lighting styles - split, loop, Rembrandt, broad, butterfly, short - and include them in non-studio settings or on location.
Learn about shutter/flash synchronization and how with a single shutter release we are able to control the exposure of ambient light separately from the light from a flash.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that what I said means I'm not creative haha. I do have a pretty extensive background in other arts. However, I feel like just with any art, the passion comes from finding a style and developing from that. Thanks for giving me some things to read up on though.

Do you like it? That's the thing, liking something enough to spend hours at it.

I think maybe you're better than you think. I'd suggest when you're out taking pictures like the tree, move around and look at the subject from slightly different vantage points and think about how you're framing. I see what you were going for and for me didn't quite nail it but it's close. The balance of the composition is what probably needed to be a little different. Think about the lines and shapes, the tree trunk is a large vertical shape and needs to be balanced with the rest of the image (and that top left corner bugs me, I'd rather see more space there or none, my instinct is to want to take a step to the left).

I do that, roam a bit and keep reframing and looking thru the viewfinder and then I see 'it' - the picture. Sometimes I can't quite get it, roam around some more, maybe take pictures of something else, then I'll turn and see it, what I couldn't get before, it's like the light bulb goes on. I've been a photographer forever so by now it just seems second nature and when I see the shot, I know it. But it's really from years and year of taking pictures.

Seems to me if you learned more about composition, you're on the right track. Such as IUNoir, great seeing something interesting, but there are almost two pictures there, the kiosk and the right side with the bikes and the curved lines going off to the right. Nice potential there for a number of different photos actually, and the good thing is you're seeing that, now it's a matter of continuing to practice and learn.

With the portrait, I'd make sure if there are lines in the background like with this brick, think about either getting the lines straight, or if you go for an angle think about how to frame it. And how much space is best, to the left of her, how much of her to have in the frame, The B&W from the back works because of the hat and the head turned to the left, but with this one it's necessary to notice the background. It takes practice to get so you can frame a subject and keep the background in your peripheral vision and keep an eye on other people moving in and out of a scene. I got so I can shoot with both eyes open and close my eye long enough to focus//shoot. But I didn't exactly get to that point overnight.

I like spiky ball, that has great texture, and I'd keep working on that one, set it up a bunch of times and see what you can get. Maybe the ball a little closer to the doorway? And notice the pattern in the floorboard that's in the center bottom of the picture, that adds texture and interest so think about how to work that into your composition. That and the shadow of the ball, do we want to see all of that? part of it? Maybe adjust the contrast in B&W too a little.

I agree the first one's really nice. Whether you know it or not you seem to have an eye for pattern and texture. I'd think about a very slight crop of that one, the right side where there's a faint edge of the wall, same with the top and the ceiling. Which is getting nit picky but it would 'clean up' the composition.

Didn't mean to go on so long but I got really into looking at these. I feel like I see what you were going for with all of these and if you keep at it you could keep getting better and better at framing and composing. I see potential in you.
I do see a lot of what you're talking about in the pictures, maybe I'll come back to some of them. And thank you, I ultimately do like photography and will continue to develop whether I'm frustrated or not. Seeing my own potential would probably make me feel a lot less stagnant.

Photography can be lots of things. Self-expression. Record of moments. A way to communicate your vision or perspective. A way to spend the time, preferable to watching paint dry, or grass grow. All of the above, and more. A key point is to decide who's your audience. If it's primarily yourself, then you decide when you're either happy or unhappy. If you're trying to impress friends and neighbours, then I would first ask the question - why? If it's for recording and record-keeping, then you don't need to get too fancy. So the question is, who are you doing it for, and why?

Photography can be lots of things. Self-expression. Record of moments. A way to communicate your vision or perspective. A way to spend the time, preferable to watching paint dry, or grass grow. All of the above, and more. A key point is to decide who's your audience. If it's primarily yourself, then you decide when you're either happy or unhappy. If you're trying to impress friends and neighbours, then I would first ask the question - why? If it's for recording and record-keeping, then you don't need to get too fancy. So the question is, who are you doing it for, and why?
I'm doing it firstly for art and something that can maybe develop into a semi-professional/professional work of mine. External opinions do matter in this case. I'm doing it because I love art intrinsically, and photography has become an art that I am very interested in but not equally as skilled or focused, which explains most of my frustration. That's why I'm looking for my "eye".

Maybe you're using some of your artistic skills without realizing it, and maybe that's why I feel like I'm seeing some elements of composition that go back to what I learned in art classes in school. I remember at some point knowing I was going to do 'something' with my photography, just didn't know what yet. Takes time. Guess it's a matter of finding out if you love it enough to keep spending time at it.

As Paul said, it's better than watching paint dry. lol That was a good one! I don't know why but still has me laughing, that was great!

I'm doing it firstly for art and something that can maybe develop into a semi-professional/professional work of mine. External opinions do matter in this case. I'm doing it because I love art intrinsically, and photography has become an art that I am very interested in but not equally as skilled or focused, which explains most of my frustration. That's why I'm looking for my "eye".

Doing "art" is generally a tough sell. As the husband of an artist, I can tell you that ART that is commercially valued is stuff connected to perceptions of the artist first, and the quality of art second. In other words, a Campbell soup can by you-know-who is much more valuable than a similar soup can by whatisname. If you are going into professional photography, then usually you have to execute a vision that someone else has, and it's your technical skill and not your artistic creativity that will be important. As for the business of cultivating the "eye" - that is cultivating a way of seeing that no-one else is doing very well, and that has less to do with the technical aspects of photography, and more with standing back and "seeing" with your mind's eye past the superficial. Easy to say, damn difficult to do. In the millions of photographs uploaded every day, someone, somewhere almost certainly will have taken an image that you are thinking of taking. But if you are able to couple that with a storyline, or a narrative, then your imagery "may" actually get noticed.

Well, as far as things you could do to improve, a few of the shots just need a little leveling. Tiny technical details like that don't seem like a big deal, but they can make a big difference in your photos. Like the spikey ball on the floor. I'm so distracted by the tilted baseboard.

Also, portraits are the (small) majority of photos you have up here and one of them is your strongest photo of the bunch (the one you used for your avatar here). So, maybe you already have a direction to focus on but your body of work isn't big enough to really see it? I don't really know that, but it's my conjecture. In any case, you don't progress or find out what you want to do without just going out and constantly photographing. Painters do painting-a-day challenges, illustrators do sketchbook challenges, and photographers do photo challenges where they get out every day for x-days and shoot.
Yep...and the x should represent the number of days until you die. :)

Doing "art" is generally a tough sell. As the husband of an artist, I can tell you that ART that is commercially valued is stuff connected to perceptions of the artist first, and the quality of art second. In other words, a Campbell soup can by you-know-who is much more valuable than a similar soup can by whatisname. If you are going into professional photography, then usually you have to execute a vision that someone else has, and it's your technical skill and not your artistic creativity that will be important. As for the business of cultivating the "eye" - that is cultivating a way of seeing that no-one else is doing very well, and that has less to do with the technical aspects of photography, and more with standing back and "seeing" with your mind's eye past the superficial. Easy to say, damn difficult to do. In the millions of photographs uploaded every day, someone, somewhere almost certainly will have taken an image that you are thinking of taking. But if you are able to couple that with a storyline, or a narrative, then your imagery "may" actually get noticed.
Without delving too much into my background...I do understand the dangers of being an artist and what art entails explicitly. I don't mind fighting against the grain, but I do feel that usually having a foundation in technique is helpful, which is what I'm hoping to develop before I can do anything more abstract.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back