critique please :D

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by phogan22, Jul 25, 2008.

1. phogan22

phogan22 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

Tell me what you think!

Thanks,
    Paul

p.s. sorry the quality isn't so amazing, I hadn't learned to edit stuff in tiff rather than jpeg...

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Technically the image is fine; good colours, exposure, white balance, DoF, but the composition is a little off. You've made a good capture here, but you need to be closer in to your subject. The street, the cars and the large area to the upper left don't add anything. Try and focus on the rider from an aspect which will have him fill more of the frame, but still preserve the fact that he's riding at a 45 deg angle.

3. kcon

kcon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i agree it would be better if the subject was in the image more, say if you zoomed or cropped more, because the people and cars are quite distracting

4. macdsean

macdsean TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with the comments on composition. In addition, the harsh shadows are distracting to me. Shooting early in the morning or in the evening is helpful to remedy this problem.

5. slapshot™

slapshot™ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I disagree with your observation.

If you look at the objects in the scene they are obviously casting some-what rather long shadows. Look at the portable tesxt message board and the shadow it casts, as well as the cars parked along the street. I don't know a) the location, hence the latitude b) whether this is a recent shot or earlier in the sason but I'm led to believe that this pic was shot some time after the supper hour (after all, when are you going to have skaters out early in the morning!).

Also, how will shooting early or late in the day eliminate harsh shadows?

6. phogan22

phogan22 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks for the comments, the picture is right on the potomac river in washington, dc (the watergate hotel). As I recall, it was not after dinner, but it wasn't noon either. It was last fall, around 5 or 6 o'clock. I know what you mean by taking pictures at early morning or evening, as this would create softer light.

as for the composition, i liked the idea of getting more of the very blue sky in the photograph, but I agree that the cars (it's actually heavy traffic.. go figure ;) ) and other people are a little distracting.

thanks

7. 50two

50two TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    just a suggestion :)
    [​IMG]
    just got rid of the random distracting red things on the left side and a bit more sky into the crop? and all the lines lead perfectly into the subject so i couldnt help but wonder what it would look like in this crop

8. phogan22

phogan22 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like your idea with the cropping, but I also kinda find the orientation distracting. I feel like I'm twisting my head to look at it right... If you cropped it so the wall was vertical as opposed to horizontal, maybe it would look better

9. 50two

50two TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i actually thought the orientation was distracting when the wall was horizontal cause i kept turning my head to see the person the rigt way up
    maybe people all just see differently ^^"