Critique Please: Fashion Shoot

Reaction score
Below was from a fashion shoot I did a couple weeks ago at South Beach. I was using a Nikon D70. I would love to hear what everyone thinks!

0001.jpg

0006.jpg

0007.jpg

0009.jpg

I like number two. Overall they are good although there are many blown out parts in each photo aside from #2. I would look into softening the light a bit. the composition is great for a fashion shot.

I think that the last shot is probably the strongest. It's the one that appeals most to me. The strong diagonal is effective, and the pose is also the most natural-looking.

In general, the model is more or less centered in each image, seeming to me to upset the balance of the image. Also, in #3, were you using a wide angle lens? I ask because of the foreshortening.

A good trick for softening shadows in direct sunlight (as in #2) is to use the flash on your camera... the frontal lighting will lighten up the shadows considerably, but you'll have to compensate by reducing exposure a bit, else the image will look blown-out because of the extra light.

Keep it up. These images are nice, and I'd love to see more in the future.

In fashion I expect it is all about the model and the item being shown. I would think that centering makes her the "center" of attention. That would seem to me to be the point of the shot.

I like them by the way. But I agree the black and white does it better for me. Not as much competeing for the views attention.

D-50 said:
I like number two. Overall they are good although there are many blown out parts in each photo aside from #2. I would look into softening the light a bit. the composition is great for a fashion shot.

I agree with you about the blown out parts, it was 100 degree's out that day and the time of day wasnt the best for photographs. It was all natural light, except for a fill flash. I will def. never take photographs at that time of day again! Thanks!

JamesD said:
I think that the last shot is probably the strongest. It's the one that appeals most to me. The strong diagonal is effective, and the pose is also the most natural-looking.

In general, the model is more or less centered in each image, seeming to me to upset the balance of the image. Also, in #3, were you using a wide angle lens? I ask because of the foreshortening.

A good trick for softening shadows in direct sunlight (as in #2) is to use the flash on your camera... the frontal lighting will lighten up the shadows considerably, but you'll have to compensate by reducing exposure a bit, else the image will look blown-out because of the extra light.

Keep it up. These images are nice, and I'd love to see more in the future.

I agree with you about the model being centered. Its weird b/c i am usually very aware of the composition in my photographs. I let my guard down! yes I was using a wide angle lens. I have a set size for all of my images.

Thanks for the tips! I appreciate it!

Photo 1

Looks a bit like a run of the mill senior photo from a group to me. The pose and composition both look similar to that style of photography. Also too much space ont he left (or too little- whichever way you want to take it)

Photo 2

Well for a start this pose lbocks the view of the clothes considerably so isn't really a great exhibition of the clothing. The pciture is also a bit confusing. Its a happy wacky pose but I don't think the grafiti or the fact shes standing outside an apparently abandoned building suggests she would be happy. I also think that for this dress the hair is wrong but I dunno if you want to know about that.

Photo 3

Blown areas of white are easily spottable and you probably are aware of those. The pose is ok but looks a bit strained. The arm again is blocking the clothes a bit but the general cut can be discerned and the pattern is pretty mucht eh same all over so the pose is ok. Also you cut her foot off and a bit more space at the top would have been nice.

Photo 4

Here again you have blocked out view of the clothing she is wearing. As a shot wouldbe ok if it wasn't for the mass of metal that jars with the look of the clothes.

Thats my opininon of them. The first is probably the strongest just because there is nothing really wrong with it except its not particularly original.

Buy fashion magazines (Vogue is my favourite for photographs) for pointers on fashion photography.

The first one is definitely the best in terms of posing. However, I would have shot it from a different POV (they don't make tilt/shift lenses for digitals do they?). The low angle makes her look squat. You might be able to compensate by having her extend her neck more, but I think her legs look slightly disproportionately too large.

The second one is alright, if cliche.

The third one has great posing, but I'd watch my exposure and composition with reference to the color of the surroundings. All of these color shots tend to be very warm on the skin tones, but the rest of the scene pretty blown out. If that's your style, then more power to you, but you should consider that the white in her dress and her light skin tone make it too easy for her to blend in with the blown-out background.

The fourth one is good, but I really think you need to redo the post-processing. There is just no tonal range in the photo at all, which is fine for some things but definitely not for skin.

Most reactions

Back