Critique PLEASE Pocono Raceway Gate Pics

edouble

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I live a couple miles from the Pocono Raceway. The track is closed and all of these pics were taken in front of two of the main gates. I would love to get the cash together to ride here. I have heard that the track conditions are not that great, especially the pacth work on the inside of turns :thumbdown:

Although I took these shots in the middle of a bright sunny day, I was able to capture a few decent ones. I am using a cheap Tiffen UV filter and at least one of my lenses has dust on it :banghead:

I am hoping to get a few Hoya filters soon. A good Hoya UV filter and a circular polarizer will do magic to my pictures.

I need help, I really dont think that any of these pics are any better than OK. I have not done any post processing.

Shooting with a Nikon D-5000, two zoom lenses and one prime. BTW white balance was set to "Direct Sunlight" and Picture Control at "Vivid"

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0159.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

A good UV filter will do nothing for you.
Get a good CPL but, don't waste money on UV filters.

Take the one you now have off the lens and your focus will be a little sharper, your images will have a little better contrast, you'll have less chance of lens flare and your front lens element will actually be 'safer'.

If you want to protect the front of your lens, use a lens hood. A hood will add even more contrast, make lens flare even less likely, and provide a more viable 'safety zone' around your front lens element.

Oh, you posted WAY to many photos for critique. 2 or 3 please.

How much do they get for a track day?

I can rent a track, Formula Ford (2L) with a data acquisition system, fuel, tires, a mechanic, and a driving coach for about $3300 a day.

Last edited:
Thank you for your input.

I thought UV filters were suppose to be used based on information I have gathered from different online postings. I definitely do not want a UV filter negatively affecting my shots.

For me to track my bike with suit rental, safety classes and registration fees it is around $1000 but don't quote me on it.

I will not post so many pictures next time!

I thought UV filters were suppose to be used based on information I have gathered from different online postings. I definitely do not want a UV filter negatively affecting my shots.

For me to track my bike with suit rental, safety classes and registration fees it is around $1000 but don't quote me on it.

When shooting film, UV filters could improve your images.

Most digital camera image sensors have a UV filter built into them, so one is not needed on the lens.

In all honesty, the right wavelength of UV filter can help your images when you get up to and over 3000 meters (10,000 feet) in altitude or with some wedding dress materials, because they flouresce when using flash.

With the advent of digital, filter makers realised they needed some reason for people to continue buying UV/Clear filters and hit on the 'protect the front of the lens', ah, recommendation.

It's works almost as good at being a mostly pure profit sale as are extended camera/lens warranties. ;)

wow! they are all...

the same :(

i like the one where you got low and you were looking up at the bike. those angles almost always look good.

i also like the one where you can't see the sign...just the bike.

but yeah...don't post so many pics...especially when the pics are all the same subject =/

When shooting film, UV filters could improve your images.

Most digital camera image sensors have a UV filter built into them, so one is not needed on the lens.

In all honesty, the right wavelength of UV filter can help your images when you get up to and over 3000 meters (10,000 feet) in altitude or with some wedding dress materials, because they flouresce when using flash.

With the advent of digital, filter makers realised they needed some reason for people to continue buying UV/Clear filters and hit on the 'protect the front of the lens', ah, recommendation.

It's works almost as good at being a mostly pure profit sale as are extended camera/lens warranties. ;)

Good info which is similar to other information I managed to fin on this forum.

wow! they are all...

the same :(

i like the one where you got low and you were looking up at the bike. those angles almost always look good.

i also like the one where you can't see the sign...just the bike.

but yeah...don't post so many pics...especially when the pics are all the same subject =/

Yeah my mistake, I should have thought more abut this before posting.

Thanks for the critique!

Hey I've been there!

Yeah I know, useless post

DSC_0129.jpg

this one was my favorite, but could have been framed better(cut off bottom of the tire). Also, without the flare.

for a second i was wondering why noone was saying they were way overexposed, come to find out i just needed to move my laptop monitor down a little bit, looks much better. for the most part i found them boring but the last one is my favorite.

I agree, this is my favorite shot as well. Not only is there flare but dust on my lens.

If I only posted one or two shots maybe it wouldnt be so boring ;)

I used CaptureNX2 to do a little retouching. What do you think?

DSC_0129edited3.jpg

I used CaptureNX2 to do a little retouching. What do you think?

Swing and a miss...

WAY too much PP done, you lost ALL detail in the shadows (wheels/tires, bottom of the bike, seat of the bike, etc.) and WAY over saturated the colors. Not to mention EMPHASIZING the lens flare and creating unwanted halos around the numbered stars.

Keep trying, you'll get the hang of it! :thumbup:

Looks like you were shooting in rather harsh sunlight. Makes for some dull, washed out images. I would shoot in early morning or late evening.

^^ This is what I planning to say. Try it again in the golden hours.

Most reactions

Back