TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Picture068.jpg

Picture069.jpg

#1 you cut off her arm..

#2 seems to be slanted to the left..

I also wanted to get a nice portion of the ledge at the bottom tho. Guess I failed on this one.

1. This first shot looks awkward to me. She looks stiff and uncomfortable. I think that the crop should be overall tigher, cropping above her elbow and also the empty space on right. Cropping above her head (eliminating the lamp post reflections, and the excess head space) would also improve the picture.

2. Much better. She looks much more relaxed here. Does need to be straightened out a bit, but overall a good image.

These are just opinions. Photography is quite subjective - and everyone is going to be telling you something different.

First of all, there's nothing wrong with cropping limbs as long as you don't bisect joints (knees, elbows, etc).

technically the images are good, although I think that the exposure could benefit from some minor curves tweaks. The focus is sharp and spot on, and the positioning of the subject is good (except as noted above concerning the angle of #2).

Her expression in both are good, but I agree the pose in #1 seems a bit stiff. #2 is well done, but I don't like your choice of background. The reflection in the window is very busy, and I find it 'fighting' with the subject for attention. I would also consider cropping #2 to offset the subject somewhat from the centre.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

The guidelines for framing are to avoid having the frame intersect a limb joint. Otherwise it looks more like an amputation ratherthan your framing.

The devil is in the details when it comes to portraiture. Like making sure your camera is not tilted unknowingly. As you gain experience, you'll either develope a routine for checking the details or you'll consistently miss them and your images will suffer.

My daughter cannot "relax" or look "unstiff". She has scoliosis so this is as relaxed as she can get.

My daughter cannot "relax" or look "unstiff". She has scoliosis so this is as relaxed as she can get.

That does put a different spin on things, HOWEVER, this is where as the photographer you have to challenge yourself to make her appear more relaxed. Consider using props such as pets or stuffed animals that she can lean against or similar. You could also think about the old 'peek-a-boo' shot where her head 'pops out' of a bush or similar.

Why is it that, more often than not, I'm unable to see the posted pics?

Maybe the place your work at has blocked Photobucket or like image hosting companies?

That's possible but I believe that the problem also occurs at home. I'll have to check it out tonight. Further, I do not see any message from the local IT police telling me that I'm not permitted to go somewhere. All I see is a post that looks like the originator forgot to include the photo!

Most reactions

Back