Critique Please

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by ckphotography, Mar 17, 2010.

1. ckphotography

ckphotography TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have just started to dive into high key photography. Having worked with mostly natural light this is a new adventure for me. I have a small space to work with (only about 14 feet long and 11 feet wide).

I have two strobes on umbrellas set up aimed at the backdrop. I have a speedlight with umbrella set up as a fill light on the subject placed to my right (subjects left) with a white reflector to the right of the subject to bounce back light.

Popped the white with curves and added a small amount of contrast. Viola! Ha- seriously- constructively critique. I don't quite like them.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Pretty good.

A hair light and a kicker would help with subject definition as would nailing the background exposure in camera, rather than relying on Curves.

Have you seen the tutorials by Zack Arias on doing high-key?

The

section:

Is not a critique/gallery section of the forums. You could be limiting the critical critique's you might get by posting here, rather than one of the Gallery critique forums:

As an example

3. Garball

Garball TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You shot yourself in the foot by over-lighting the background and under-lighting the subject. To compound matters - you then "kicked" it up in curves.

Well, that strained all the pixels - and they're breathing pretty hard at this point.

Now, establish a highlight on you victim - a real highlight. Then bring in you fill panel to compliment the main - we photograph with light and design with shadow.

Now pop your strobes into the paper - just enough to achieve a white - carefully.

If your goal is a true high key look then place your main almost in front and above you subject and use your fill panel from below chest high.

g

4. craig

craig TPF Noob!

In high key mode I bounce 2 naked strobes off of foamcore on both sides of the seamless. I use 2 pieces of in front of the lens to bounce the light back. Creates a chaos of light with a limited "sweet spot" but I love it and use it often.

Love & Bass