Critique please

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by julius, Jun 29, 2006.

1. julius

julius TPF Noob!

Canon A-1
    Shot on Ilford Delta 100
    Printed on Ilford MGIV Pearl
    Then scanned in and slight changed in photoshop

[​IMG]

I am interested in what people think of the composition. Personally I like the composition but I get the feeling it could be unbalanced because there is not that much happening on the right hand side of the picture. Another query is to do with the exposure. I slightly underexposed the print in the darkroom but think I managed to salvage it in photoshop by layering and burning etc. Does this pass as OK?

I don't mind if you rip me apart but keep in mind I've only been shooting for a month or so. Thanks in anticipation:D

2. SeanL

SeanL TPF Noob!

Ok then, I think it's an absolutely horrible photograph!

lol jk. I actually really like it. For me, it draws all of my attention to the subject in the bottom left hand corner, which is obviously the bench. I also look at the tree as well. I do agree though that there is nothing really going on in the top right.

3. Philip Weir

Philip Weir TPF Noob!

Sydney, Australia. The land of peace and sunshine.
    Excellent image for your first month. I look forward to month two. I would prefer that the bench seat be turned into the shot, but that's only trival. It has a nice feeling, somewhat ethereal. By your comments, I assume you sacnned from the print not the negative. Next time print on a glossy or flat matte paper, the scan can pick up the pearl finish. Philip.

www.philipweirphotography.com

4. darin3200

darin3200 TPF Noob!

It seems like it just rolls down off to the right. I would try going for a lower angle which would get rid of a lot of the empty space on the right

5. julius

julius TPF Noob!

SeanL: Cheers for your response, I'm glad you liked the image and the subject stands out for you. I've done a little reading on composition and came across the thirds rule. Anyway, I was experimenting with thirds or "two thirds" in this case. I never took photography in school so I'm still trying to work out what works and what doesn't.

Phillip Weir: Thanks for the kind words and the tip. I am due for another paper round anyway so I think I'll grab a pack of matte. I would like to try scanning negs but don't think I can with my standard flatbed (I don't have a light in the lid)

Darin3200: Thanks for the comment. I'll definately take that into consideration next time I'm out shooting.