critique thread

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by ksmattfish, Mar 10, 2004.

1. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    In response to this lively thread

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4550&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I propose that we need a Critique Gallery. Posting in the Critique Gallery would be different than the normal Photo Gallery, in that the act of posting would be a request for serious critique. The Photo Gallery would still remain the gallery for folks who want comments, but maybe aren't ready for a full blown critique of their work, or just want to keep folks up on what they are currently shooting, etc...

2. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    mmmm, must we??? The gallery forum clearly states you are posting your photos there for feedback and comments....this might be another case of overly splintering the forum to accommodate a few. Just my two cents. :D

3. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I see where your suggestion is coming from, but I think it would be better to set the expectation that if you post your photos in the gallery, it is for critique. I have made a slight change to the statement under the Photo Gallery link and I would be happy to edit it further based on suggestions to push the idea that if you post photos, it is with the understanding and expectation that you will receive feedback (both positive and negative) on them.

Thanks,

Some Admin Guy...

4. ksmattfish

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sure, that works.

Terri, you are probably right in that it would get too splintered. I guess that I feel that's it's not just black and white (no pun intended); it's not critique or no critique. There is a middle ground, where folks would like to post photos they are proud of and get comments and maybe some back patting without having their images torn to pieces by some egotistical, self-proclaimed expert (LIKE ME!!!).

I know that these could be posted in the themes gallery, but at the same time, sometimes it's a downer to have to post my sunset pic with all the other forty million sunset pics ( :lol: just kidding! Sunsetters, you know I love ya). I think the themes gallery is a great place to learn and get ideas, but it seems to me that sometimes pics sort of get lost in there.

Many of the photography forum sites I visit have both galleries (and I'm glad this site isn't like them). It appears to me that most folks use the standard gallery over the critique gallery. I take this to mean they don't want a hardcore critique, and that's okay. Unless you're a egotistical, self-proclaimed expert a good critique can be quite intimidating, and not at all what you need to find inspiration to continue your art, craft, whatever. The egotistical, self proclaimed experts can handle a hardcore critique, because we are already secure in the knowledge that the rest of the world is a bunch of gibbering ignoramuses who don't have the vision to realize our artistic genius. :cyclops:

5. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Exactly. :mrgreen: You're so SMART.

6. Chase

Photos OK to edit
    Well, I'm not completely against the idea....I'd be intersted to hear what others think.

Speak up! :)

7. Osmer_Toby

Osmer_Toby TPF Noob!

i agree with terri. one gallery to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them. :D

8. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

well, at least we will be total geeks together!!

md

9. Osmer_Toby

Osmer_Toby TPF Noob!

:lol:

also, at the risk of being frowned on for offering a link to another site, the article found at http://www.naturephotographers.net/je1001-1.html is an excellent one- perhaps someone ought to write something similar for our site, and post it along with the directions on how to post images.
    or maybe it can be reproduced here with the author's permission?

btw- is it cool to link to another site?

10. Chase

Photos OK to edit
    I don't have a problem with it, but watch out for some of those crazy moderators ;) :lol:

11. Geronimo

Geronimo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There are other sites? :scratch:

12. ksmattfish

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I tried to make this part of my signature, but it's too long!