Critiques and Advice for a Newbie Please

TunaMR2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, I'm a newb to photography altogether. A friend of mine just bought me a D40x because she knew I had been wanting to get into photography. Anyway, I'm pretty sure my composition and stuff suck, so I'm more than willing to hear any advice you guys have. If you can point me in the direction of some good reading material, well, that'd be much appreciated as well!

Here are some of the ones I kinda like.

DSC_0075.JPG

DSC_0269.JPG

DSC_0159.JPG

DSC_0452.jpg

The rest can be seen here if anybody cares to look at any others. Again, all comments good and bad accepted and appreciated. TIA

Hey there and welcome. Everyone told me to read Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson... It is a great place to start. I like the shots you have posted on your site of Iraq, I think they are the best in terms of composition and interesting subject matter.
Keep shooting and posting and you will learn a lot from all of the wise people who belong to this forum, its helped me tremendously.

Fixed the links so the pictures show up in the thread. Any other comments or critiques? :-(

your bike picture reminded me of one i took when i was just starting out, lol.

BikeBW.jpg

keep workin on it, find interesting subjects around town and shoot and post those.

The best thing, or at least the thing that helped me the most-was looking at photos in Time and Vanity Fair. Seriously.
I practiced a lot, spun the dials around like the Tasmanian Devil, and finally after a while I could not only "see" the shot, but could take it.
Practice Practice Practice.
You'll get it, I promise!

1st thing. You say you "think" your composition sucks. Do you know what that means? Make sure you learn and understand every element that makes up a great photo. Shoot on manual or program instead of the preset auto, night scene, and other mode the d40x supplies you with. Learn your shutter speed, iso, aperature. Learn what they do and how they affect your picture. I wouldnt even bother playing around with flash till you have a decent understanding how to shoot normally.

Most reactions

Back