critiques please

parthiv91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Please give your cirtiques....
0003_florwers.jpg

It's nice and all, but flower shots are extremely common and you should try for something more interesting. I do like the water droplets though.

It's a nice shot. I think you can improve on it, though.

Really shallow DOF is tricky. To my eye the vertical petals at the back of the blossom seem to have the sharpest focus. If that focus was on the petals with the water droplets I think your image may be stronger.

Give it another shot!

Thanks for posting.

d

yeah, the focus/focal point is what concerns me. i would either make the entire flower the focal point or just the section with the water droplets, because,yes, the back part of the flower is the sharpest, therefore it seems like that is the focal point.

I understand that there are flower photographers and flower entusiasts so thats why there are lots of flowers. The ones that stand out for me are more than just flowers. Ones with a bee on them. Ones with shocking colors also come to mind. Since I'm not a flower enthusiast I cant say much about the shot itself. But i can say this, flowers are great as one part of a larger still life composition.

I agree with the DOF comments but I also feel as if there is just a tad bit of stuff that's going on on the back ground that distracts just a liiiiiiiitle from the flower. Is it ok to edit?

a quick fix that could help liven this shot up would be a bump in contrast. the colors have a very blah feel to them.

are you firing with the kit lense on the XTi? open the aperture as wide as you can get it for a shallower DOF

Why?
That would make an already semi-focused shot even worse, if anything the focus point should be more to the front, at least on the foremost stamens, this should keep the now outfocused petals sharper and dissolve the background more. Colours could also do with a boost.

mysteryscribe said:
The ones that stand out for me are more than just flowers. Ones with a bee on them. Ones with shocking colors also come to mind.
Yeah, I saw one I LOVED because it had a cute little red spider. I also enjoy viewing ones that I've never seen anything like, exotic looking shapes and colors. =P

nice concept, but the flower is too central, crop off the left side and tighten right up to the flower, even cropping off a tiny bit of those left side petals..that woudl make a stronger composition and remove the distraction that is too the left

Nice shot.:thumbup: As many people are talking abou the DOF I would have made used a slightly smaller aperture to make sure all the petals were in focus.

Thanks for the critiques. I will to take care of the points.

I checked the raw file and the found the aperture was already 5.6. I think the problem is, I use a 17-50 F2,8 tamron lens. The focul length was 50mm and the distance to the object was around .3m So the effective dof was to small.

Will try to take care.

best regards

BoblyBill said:
Here's just what I came up with...

nice edit,
but i can see two different colours in the dark background. the top left and the bottom right edge are close to black, the remaining background is blue.. with a very sharp division between the two... that is sort of disturbing.

you can see it easily on a calibrated screen but even on my small laptop it is visible.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back