Photos OK to edit
Hi!

Had a great day for trains.

Critiques are welcome and very much appreciated on this photo:

UP_1995_DDA_filtered.jpg.67843.jpg

Thanks everyone! :wink:

Nick

Heya Nick,
this got moved to the General Gallery since you are asking for some more general and not so much for some very specific critique.

The weather was definitely lovely, the colours come out well, railroad photos usually have this element of vanishing point in them, which is given here, too, and it is a nice documentation of a train (in motion?) - without any major "wow"-effect, though. Composition is pleasing but not very unusual. Train-lovers will like this photo a lot, I might guess. From a photography standpoint it is --- a solid, good photo of a train. No more, no less.
And I feel there is too much sky in the photo, it could all in all do with a little crop.

Heya Nick,
this got moved to the General Gallery since you are asking for some more general and not so much for some very specific critique.

The weather was definitely lovely, the colours come out well, railroad photos usually have this element of vanishing point in them, which is given here, too, and it is a nice documentation of a train (in motion?) - without any major "wow"-effect, though. Composition is pleasing but not very unusual. Train-lovers will like this photo a lot, I might guess. From a photography standpoint it is --- a solid, good photo of a train. No more, no less.
And I feel there is too much sky in the photo, it could all in all do with a little crop.

She pretty much summed up what I was going to say.

I agree with them, but still had an urge to edit this. Tell me if you mind.

trainus0.jpg

I think black and white really seems to work with train shots, so that's what I tried. I also bumped up the contrast a little in Photoshop, cropped off the right side and top, and added some blurring. If you have PS, I also suggest trying out all the different effects on this photo, just for fun. It was hard to decide which looked best-- trains really seem to agree with nearly all of the PS effects. ;)

Wow, that train looks like it's about to pop out of the picture. It's so much more powerful now!

One suggestion, though, the center of the train is too blurry... If it's going to be that blurry, then the rear should be just as blurry.

I like this picture, very nice color, I think the edited version gave it a better composition though. I like both the color and b&w version too.

Nice colours, I've always been amazed at the size of American locos'. The colours are great, and I have to agree with LaFoto about cropping out some of the sky. Good shot though.

Hey Nick... welcome over to TPF!! (I see your posts on RRF)... its a good shot... the one thing I may have done if it was me was go -1/3 to -2/3 down on exposure compensation. It will slightly darken the skys contrast and give a much more warm and contrasty feel to the lead engine.

Aside from that its a good catch on what looks to be fairly newly painted UP1995...

Most reactions

Back