crop advice

echoyjeff222

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Was going to shave off some of the sky w/ a 16-9 crop, but not sure if it crunches things too much and throws the balance. I'm starting to prefer the original with a bit more breathing room. Thoughts?

Also, is it just me or do things look a bit tilted?

_MG_7925-Edit by Jeffrey Lee, on Flickr

16-9 crop by Jeffrey Lee, on Flickr

Both are good.. I think the 16:9 crop looks nice.

Here's a 3x2 crop:

35187685081_06b2e92cd0_z - Version 2.jpg

And no, I don't like it better, I just thought it might be good for the discussion.

I like the 16:9 too

with tilting .. there are so many vertical lines - columns, the fence, etc that I would prefer those are actually vertical. Many of the horizontal lines are not straight across and come at an angle so it may look odd but I think it looks good without putting it in LR to check.

It does look a teensy bit tilted to the right, IMO. Not sure I would have noticed if you hadn't asked. I like the 16:9 as well.

Here's a 3x2 crop:

View attachment 141606

And no, I don't like it better, I just thought it might be good for the discussion.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

And @ designer, I actually sort of like that crop more! it cuts off some of the extra space on the right, which I don't think is adding too much necessarily ... hmm. why is cropping such a headache?!

why is cropping such a headache?!
It need not be. You have several options, some of which can be used together.

As always, make the subject most important, and there are ways to emphasize the importance by where you place it in the frame.

Then, I usually try to eliminate distractions, if possible.

Then, I think about what proportions are pleasing to the eye. Also; if I am going to print and frame, a standard aspect ratio might be easier to process, providing those proportions don't ruin the scene.

Most reactions

Back