crop or not?

do you crop your photos?

• Total voters
infrared film? ... that looks wicked :D

I crop most of the time...but want to get to a point when I never crop. You see I'm just not good enough to never crop.

hi dew
if it's art do what you like.
if it's business - give them only what they need.

jack said:
hi dew
if it's art do what you like.
if it's business - give them only what they need.

and if it's art-business.... give them what you like that they need :wink:

metroshane said:
I crop most of the time...but want to get to a point when I never crop. You see I'm just not good enough to never crop.

im not at the point where i think im that good not to crop :lol: .. i just find the surrounding environment adds to the story ... the little distracting things that keeps your eyes wandering around the photo :lol:

I'm pretty much with you guys - I'd love to get to the point where I don't need to crop (or at least as much), but right now - I also enjoy exploring the images in photoshop and discovering different ways of looking at the subject and seeing the different effects different crops/colors/etc... have... and in the long run these experiments will help me learn.... interersting thread, and something I've been wondering about - Thanks!

I don’t think there is anything wrong with cropping. I seen interview and stories about successful landscape photographers they crop all the time.

I crop when needed. Most of the time it's because I want to print an 8x10 or a format other than 2:3.

Excellent point, voodoo! If you want a full 8 x 10, so you can fit a ready made frame, you have to crop something out, because a full frame shot would be 8 x 12 or only 6 2/3 x 10. Thats a pet peeve of mine. How the heck did 8x10 and 5x7 become standard sizes when they are proportional to the most commonly used film?!

Anyway... I am not voting because I too would like to be in the middle. I crop when I need or want to crop. I do prefer not cropping, just for the personal satisfaction of knowing I got it right the first time. I love the full frame black border celebration of a perfectly frame shot...

i did put a "in the middle" vote .. it didnt make it somehow :? .. i editted, and tried it again ... didnt work :?

Maybe you can't edit it once people have voted or something? I too had trouble getting all of my options to appear once. You have to make sure to click add option (or whatever it's called) so it saves it and then adds another blank one at the bottom...

i did it in the original post, before anyone knew it existed :lol: ... but u can state your "in the middle" in your text

you notice i dont use polls often, i like elaborations as to why :wink:

typically I only crop my photos if I really screwed up the framing of the shot. Mainly you need to think about the framing when you shoot the shot to get the best detail and quality. (Richness of color, etc)

Most of the time I crop to get it to fit different formats. Since a digital file has a ratio of 4:3, and thats not the same as alot of other sizes. :0) I also prefer panoramic pictures for some reason. :0). Havent done many though.

Most reactions

Back