Crop Sensors vs Full Frame :: Crop Or Crap?

Didereaux

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Nope, you ain't gonna bait me, you aren't even going to be able to agree with me BECAUSE any arguments pro, or con are going to have to defeat ZACK ARIAS! So come on you self proclaimed experts on camera sensor sizes - get your game on and argue with a REAL pro! :bouncingsmileys:

Like any other tool. Right sensor size for the right job. Not rocket science.

Not again! That video should have been retired more than a year ago when it was already stale and moldy.

Joe

Don't we have some pro photographers on this site too ?
And other internet forums / websites.

or, because someone posts a video on Youtube and someone else finds it, they are deemed a God above all other Pro photographers ?

That was entertaining and I'd lie if I said he didn't make me chuckle. It's totally true that differences are negligible in comparison to medium and large format.

Oooooooooold link.

And I already commented on this article in length.

The core issues are:

- Yes he is correct, the Fuji X system is great for what it is and as such doesnt need full frame.

- Image quality is NOT the only factor to decide for your optimal camera system. Otherwise everyone would photograph with large format, no ?

- Large format isnt medium format and neither are small format. Each of these formats is very different in their application. If you want a camera for a certain purpose, changing the format might not even be an option at all, because the other format lacks important features. Arias acts as if this wasnt the case.

- Thats why the "small" difference between APS-C and full frame, yes, is a big deal. Because its the maximum difference I still can get, for a certain set of functionality, and because the differences are NOT in the sensor size alone, but in the camera systems as a whole. For example a Nikon full frame camera is simply far superior to a Fuji X system when it comes to lowlight action, or wildlife (which indeed, for good reasons, is done with APS-C).

Zack Arias is a studio photographer by heart. Thats why he thinks image quality is everything, why he loves the fast sync of a X100 and why he loves the smallness of the Fuji X system.

A very different photographer is for example Chuck Jines and he really dizzed the X100t since in his opinion neither the autofocus nor the manual focus are good enough to be useable for street photography. Thats why Chuck Jines prefers to use old Minolta and Nikon film DSLRs with Tri-X film and manual lenses for his photography.

It's just a long fuji advert

I have seen this video before, and in all seriousness the differences ARE pretty negligible under certain circumstances. Portrait photography is probably the most forgiving as far as the camera and lens go since it's more about the lighting setup.

All the formats have their place though. If they didn't, noone would be producing them.
Some of the portraits on my flickr page were done with a m4/3 camera and kit lens and you can't tell them from the ones taken with the nikon D600.
They looked just fine as an 8x10 print.

I think, if nothing else, this video goes to show that you should pick your gear based on your need, not company hype or urban myths about everything but FX is crap.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back