Croping and resizing

Garrentee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When you crop a picture do you normally resize it or keep the size it is?

Also whats a normal size for a Jpeg thats going to printed into an 8X10?

Thanks
garrentee

Minimum 1600x1200 res for an 8x10. Resizing just depends on what your output size will be and if its for the web or print. I have an 8.2 MP camera and it has huge RAW files, so if I just need to print to a 5x7, I crop for a 5x7 and lower the resolution to 150 dpi in once click in Photoshop. Also depends if its BW or color for me.

now the difference between web and print would be...?

sometimes i go to the to the photolab and my pictures dont fit into an 8X10? is this because of there size? can i resize them and fix this problem?

I usually print with a file that is 300 pixels per inch of print...so for an 8x10 I make it 2400x3000

Your problem may be the aspect ratio. 8x10 is different than 5x7 and different from 4x6 etc. So if you want to make an 8X10, you should crop it to that ratio.

Web images should be much smaller than print images...they don't need to be as big and it saves loading time. For example, I usually re-size to about 800 pixels when uploading to the web.

Minimum 1600x1200 res for an 8x10. Resizing just depends on what your output size will be and if its for the web or print. I have an 8.2 MP camera and it has huge RAW files, so if I just need to print to a 5x7, I crop for a 5x7 and lower the resolution to 150 dpi in once click in Photoshop. Also depends if its BW or color for me.

Stellar

a 1600 x 1200 is not 8x10 format.... I thinbk you meant 1500 x 1200 but to my mind that is not likely to get you the best quality.. I'd say a minimum of 2400 x 1920 pixels which will allow you to print at 240ppi.

Why do you lower the res to 150ppi? (note this is not dpi which is different)..... 150ppi is a pretty low quality image. Might be ok to priont a poster at this size but an 8x10???

If you have a file large enough you should be printing at 300ppi if you can. If not an 8x10 should probably be a minimum of 240ppi.

Regards
Jim

now the difference between web and print would be...?

sometimes i go to the to the photolab and my pictures dont fit into an 8X10? is this because of there size? can i resize them and fix this problem?

Web image will be 8x10 @ 72ppi = image size of 576 x 720 pixels.

Print will be 8x10 @ 300ppi = image size of 2400 x 3000 pixels

The resizing may be because you are printing at an incorrect resolution?? Not really sure as I don't use that program.

how would i go about messing with the aspect ratio?

how would i go about messing with the aspect ratio?
All you need to do is to crop with a different ratio. If you have photoshop, you can set the crop tool to a pre-defined ratio.

Another way to do it with photoshop, would be to create a new canvas that is the size you want, then copy/paste (or drag & drop) your image onto the new canvas. Move and resize the image onto the new background and then once you OK it...you will have your new ratio.

Your camera produces 3:2 ratio. This will obviously provide you with 6x4, 9x6, 12x8 etc without cropping.

To get an 8x10, this is a 4x5 ratio. If you shoot RAW you can set the ratio in the raw converter.

An 8x6 image is 4:3 ratio etc.....

If you want to crop your image, remember that you'll need to leave an area around your subject when shooting so that you can remove the area in post processing. If you compose tightly in-camera, this will restrict what ratios you can use.

I think im started to catch the drift here...

Therefore when im cropping an image i should pay attention to (a) what im doing with the shot, (b) whether im printing an 8X10 or any other size, and (c) what aspect ratio i need the file to be...?

That's the idea. I usually leave the image uncropped (or loosely cropped) until I know what output I'm going for. If it's a 4x6 print, I crop for that and save a '4x6-print' copy. If I'm printing an 8x10, I crop for that and save an '8x10' copy...etc. If I'm going to display on the web, I might not even care about the aspect ratio...just what looks best, and make sure to resize the image to make the file smaller.

Always save copies of your files....you don't want to crop it tight for a 4x6 and save it that way...only to find that you want an 8x10 but now that ratio cuts off some one's head or feet.

AH HA!!!

Got it!

Thanks everyone...big help!
garrentee

I only lower the res to 150 ppi if I print on my printer. Sorry should have explained that better. I use the resizing info from the PS CS2 book by Scott Kelby. I go into image size, uncheck the Resample Image box and then enter 150 in resolution box (its usually at 72). If I have a huge print, it may be 27"x42" or whatever and this allows me to size it way down without the softness. If its to a lab, I do increase the ppi much more. You mentioned poster size prints- this book has an awesome chapter on rule-breaking resizing for poster-size prints. I've done it in CS2 and it looks impressive, but I have not had a print made.
Sorry for the earlier confusion!

Find your original image size. They are NOT all the same. Mine is 4368 px by 2904 px.
What you want to look at is the size in inches. Mine is 14.56 x 9.68. YMMV.
Using your crop tool, plug in the numbers your full size photo is, and then crop. This will leave you with a full sized crop. A full sized crop will give you 4x6, 8x12, most 5x7 and 11x14. You need to leave extra space for 8x10 or 20x24. Play with the crops and you can "eyeball" it after a while.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back