cropped or full frame for evening shooting

And lovely Color to.

Shooting at high ISO is really not a big deal on a modern full-frame sensor camera. I usually inspect the images for noise and I might apply a tiny bit of de-noising but frankly I could leave the images untouched and most people wouldn't notice (especially if the image is resampled to a smaller size for display on a website -- resampling to a lower resolution has the effect of de-noising the image anyway.)

I was surprised you were in a quandary over whether to use the 40D vs. the D750. A 40D is a fairly old camera and it's notion of high ISO isn't in the same ballpark as modern cameras. While you did have the f/2.8 lens for the 40D, that's only 1 stop faster (double the light) of the lens you have on the D750 -- but that D750 will be able to shoot at MANY stops of ISO beyond the capabilities of the 40D.

Shooting at high ISO is really not a big deal on a modern full-frame sensor camera. I usually inspect the images for noise and I might apply a tiny bit of de-noising but frankly I could leave the images untouched and most people wouldn't notice (especially if the image is resampled to a smaller size for display on a website -- resampling to a lower resolution has the effect of de-noising the image anyway.)

I was surprised you were in a quandary over whether to use the 40D vs. the D750. A 40D is a fairly old camera and it's notion of high ISO isn't in the same ballpark as modern cameras. While you did have the f/2.8 lens for the 40D, that's only 1 stop faster (double the light) of the lens you have on the D750 -- but that D750 wiill be able to shoot at MANY stops of ISO beyond the capabilities of the 40D.

What *I* find surprising is that you've spent so many posts, and so much personal effort on your part on TPF to instill fear, uncertainty, and doubt about the value/usefulness/veracity of DxO Mark's sensor performance testing results and numbers...and yet, with your own words, you acknowledge EXACTLY what their test results show...

Canon EOS 40D : Tests and Reviews | DxOMark

Nikon D750 : Tests and Reviews | DxOMark
Nikon D750 Overall DxO Mark Score: 93
Portrait (Color Depth) 24.8 bits
Landscape (Dynamic Range) 14.5 EV
Sports (Low-light ISO) 2,956 ISO

Canon 40D Overall DxO Mark Score: 64
Portrait(Color Depth) 21.1 bits
Landscape(Dynamic Range) 11.3 EV
Sports(Low-light ISO) 703 ISO

I was surprised you were in a quandary over whether to use the 40D vs. the D750. A 40D is a fairly old camera and it's notion of high ISO isn't in the same ballpark as modern cameras. While you did have the f/2.8 lens for the 40D, that's only 1 stop faster (double the light) of the lens you have on the D750 -- but that D750 wiill be able to shoot at MANY stops of ISO beyond the capabilities of the 40D.

What *I* find surprising is that you've spent so many posts, and so much personal effort on your part on TPF to instill fear, uncertainty, and doubt about the value/usefulness/veracity of DxO Mark's sensor performance testing results and numbers...and yet, with your own words, you acknowledge EXACTLY what their test results show...

Canon EOS 40D : Tests and Reviews | DxOMark

Nikon D750 : Tests and Reviews | DxOMark
Nikon D750 Overall DxO Mark Score: 93
Portrait (Color Depth) 24.8 bits
Landscape (Dynamic Range) 14.5 EV
Sports (Low-light ISO) 2,956 ISO

Canon 40D Overall DxO Mark Score: 64
Portrait(Color Depth) 21.1 bits
Landscape(Dynamic Range) 11.3 EV
Sports(Low-light ISO) 703 ISO

Make no mistake... I regularly bash DxO for having delusions of adequacy. If they were submitting their results to a scientific journal, they'd be rejected for their methods (no reputable journal would agree to publish an organization that provides "scores" but won't provide "data" and refuses to divulge their testing methods -- but tries to assure us through their marketing that they know what they're doing -- even though other reviewers who DO publish their data and show sample photographs can show examples that differ radically from DxOs.)

But I don't know why you'd be surprised that I'd take the D750 without hesitating... I don't need DxO to tell me that a full-frame sensor DSLR that came out just a year ago will have better low-light performance than a crop-frame camera that came out in 2007.

Most reactions

Back