Cropping size

gravespinner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since I am still a TPF Noob, I can ask newbie questions.

Does the size to which you crop depend on the use of the shot? Is there a standard or several standard sizes to which to crop pictures for print. Does it matter if you are publishing to the web?

I have a sunset with a power line cutting through the top corner. Should I just cut the top or side off to delete the area with the power line, or should I crop to a fixed size to match standard print sizes

If you're posting on the web only, you can crop it to whatever size you want to because nobody is using a ruler here to see if you posted the correct size as far as I know. For prints, you can do the same if you can find a frame to put it in. That or you can get creative with a border to make it a common size. I'd say, crop it how you think it will look the best and post it on the web.

Just keep in mind the image resolution and how it relates to size.

When posting on the web, you image only needs to be 72 PPI and should be no larger than 800 pixels wide.

When printing an image 300 PPI is the norm and the 'typical' sizes are 4x6, 5x7, 8x10 etc. Of course, most common frame sizes don't match the standard format size of 35mm film...so to print a 5x7 or 8x10...some cropping is usually necessary.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back