cropping / sizing

eskiho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm shooting my d70 on a massive resolution as i've heard you should shoot on the highest all the time for quality, but when I veiw the photos here i've noticed everyones are regular 8 X 10 size. How do I do this in photo shop?

Also, how do I make that black boarder stay on the photo when I'm cropping it?

Thank!

eskiho said:
I'm shooting my d70 on a massive resolution as i've heard you should shoot on the highest all the time for quality, but when I veiw the photos here i've noticed everyones are regular 8 X 10 size. How do I do this in photo shop?

Also, how do I make that black boarder stay on the photo when I'm cropping it?

Thank!

Hi Eskiho,

You're doing the right thing in terms of capture, as the higher the res, the more you can do with the original image.

When we display an image on the forum we resize it's pixel dimensions to allow for faster online viewing and to make it fit on the screen. PS has two areas of controlling the picture dimensions and both can be found in Image, Image Size. I normally use about 600 x 400 as this is probably enough to fit on anyone's screen and usually makes a file less than 100Kb in size when saved as a 10 quality jpg.

Please find attached a screen shot of the box and note that you only need to change the pixel dimensions, not the document size.

Good luck

Rob

Attachments

• $shot.jpg
    $shot.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 96
Hi Rob,
Regarding Image Size box, when I save my pictures in RAW, I have 3008x2000 pixels
at 300 resolution. Now, which way is better for resizing down: by specyfing pixels dimensions, for example: 640x400 or I noticed you can change resolution to 72 and image automaticly resizes to about the same size. Which way gives better quality outcome?
Thanks,

Marek

Marek, you get a better quality but changing 3008x2000 pixels down to 640x400. 300dpi is a print resolution and then you get best results when getting prints. When I resize my photos to post here I resize them to 640x480, and save for web. Sometimes I change resolution to 72dpi (as it is a web resolution) and then the pics are about 50-60 kb.

I don't think you'll see too much difference between 72ppi or 300ppi when viewing on the web, the file will be several times bigger though, so as Mentos said, 600x400@72ppi is probably ideal for forum and web galleries.

If you're talking about building up your own website, you should use your judgement on the likely technology of your viewers. I make my site plain HTML with JPG images and no flash so it's accessible to all browsers and most bandwidths i.e. 33K modems or greater. Some people love flashy web stuff and massive quality images in this age of cheap broadband.

I use recorded PS actions to automatically resize, unsharp mask, brightness and contrast my images to approximately 600x400 pixels @ 72 pixels per inch. Then there's some rotating, cropping and tidying to do, before using some XML to apply a frame, semi-transparant logo and thumbnails and compression. These images are also usefully small because my current throughput is over ten gigabytes per month which is quite high for a small gallery site (we have quite a lot of visitors).

I do this because I run a website where people often submit pictures for galleries and it's a pain to do it manually. Here's an example file which is 700x300 ish at 72ppi and 40Kb ish.

graffiti.jpg

Rob

Most reactions

Back