cross in the window

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by tsien, Sep 3, 2004.

1. tsien

tsien TPF Noob!

Hello! This is an extremely boring picture. Flat 2 dimensional. I like the subject but couldn't think of a way to shoot it in a more interesting way. Do you have a clue?

[​IMG]

2. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

With stained glass, I like to wait until the light is shining through. I then set the camera up with a long exposure and stir up some dust to give a more ray-like image.

Hope this helps.

3. LizM

LizM TPF Noob!

Set up a shoplight on one side and shoot from the other but pull back some, the window frame could give it some perspective.

4. Tuna

Tuna Supermodel

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree about pulling back. Show the window in it's environment and composed in such a way as to highlight it. I think this photo needs some perspective for us to appreciate it more.

5. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, I think if you get the light from the other side, it will help greatly with the flatness.

6. ginsberg

ginsberg TPF Noob!

I'm going to start with a question. Why did you choose this particular subject? I'm sure that there are many possible reasons but I'll make an assumption. You either want to show the religious symbolism OR you are interested in the different colors of the stained glass.

If its the symbolism you pretty much have to take a photo of the entire window. However, if you're interested in the glass you might consider focusing on only a few pieces and forget about the window as a whole. Look for a few interesting colors and shapes that complement each other.

Re: light, I pretty much agree that light shining through the glass would make it more striking. However, strong reflected light might also be interesting. As an experiment, with this or any other photo, pick an area that interests you and walk from one side of that area to the other. Note how the light changes as you move. Also note how your feelings of the subject change as the light changes. Finally, if you can't see the photo that you want, buy a postal card and come back at another time and try again.

Ed

7. ginsberg

ginsberg TPF Noob!

Since my last comments I had a chance to look at the photo again. Notice how your eyes are always drawn upward toward the cross area. Much of the area below the (window bar?) is not engaging. I'd suggest that you consider cropping (or retaking) it so that most (but not all) of the area below the bar is not included.

Ed