Cross Process? Or Other Technique?

Discussion in 'Alternative Techniques & Photo Gallery' started by Adamtron, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Adamtron

Adamtron TPF Noob!

I have been noticing that photos in magazines lately have a certain look where it seems like cross processed film, but different. The photos have a blue cast and kind of look like when they shoot scenes during the day but process it to look like night. I'm wondering if there is a certain film that does this, or is this more of a maniplulation in Photoshop? Hopefully I created the thread in the right area, I wasn't sure what category this falls into. Thanks for any help! -Adamtron

I will attempt to insert a photo of this techinique below- Jake Gyllenhaal from an issue of GQ to demonstrate what I mean...
    http://www.thecinemasource.com/moviesdb/images/Jake Gyllenhaal - 1 - 300 - Jarhead.jpg

2. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    That looks more like using tungsten film with daylight or strobes to me. I find it a bit yucky myself.

3. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't think it's cross processing, either. Could be tungsten film, but it also looks photoshopped to me. Note the subtle halo effect around the face. It's an interesting color cast.

4. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

It's a Photoshop wipe.
    Cross processing and Tungsten in daylight give a different effect.
    This is just one of those trendy little effect fads that some photographers/magazine art directors go through just to be 'different'. It'll be something else next month.

PS - I've turned the image into a link to avoid Copyright infringement.