Cross-Processing

Scurra

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, this would be my first question posted in this forum.

I have recently seen some shots taken with transparency film that is subsequently developed using the C41 chemistry. This creates some very cool effects, my main 2 questions are:

1.) Will my local lab be able to do this for me?

2.) Will it work with pretty much any transparency or are there factors you have to take into account when shooting? E.g. if a shot is slightly over exposed as it is will cross-processing blow it out totally?

hmmm, I'm not certain what you're asking here. My guess would be that any transparency that can be developed as C41 would be processed just like film. So you would basically run the same risks as you would if you over- or underexposed film, as far as seeing blown areas and the like. And the only way to find out if your local lab would do this for you would be to ask someone there - preferably in person, so they would understand exactly what you're after. You will probably be dealing with a pro lab, so expect to pay more to get the handling you're after.

Hopefully someone who is better versed than I will weigh in here with additional info for you. Sorry I can't be more help.

Scurra, go see the darkroom forum - there is a post there about cross processing that may shed a little more light for you here (it just did for me). :wink:

It makes everything very bright I'll scan an example from a magazine and post it here shortly.

1) Any lab should be capable. But, they need to be willing to do custom work. Also I have heard that the film should be processed just before the chemicals are changed.

2) Should work with any E-6 film, I recall reading that you should make some adjustments in the expose

There is an old post about this on TPF

Ha, you're good, Jeff, digging all this stuff up. I sort of remember at least one of those threads. Depending on what kind of stuff you're shooting, it can turn out some cool effects. Great examples. :D

Personally, I think I'd be too chicken to do it.... :p if I wanted to distort the colors unrealistically, I'd use PS, where I could exercise a little control to get what I was after...... I think. :wink:

Thanks, Jeff, for showing me some examples. It looks great! And thanks, Scurra, for showing me yet another new technique. :mrgreen:

lol It makes for some very funky looking modern portraits if you are willing to take the risk :)

I've seen lots of nice examples of slide film processed in C41 chemistry, but I'm a little unclear on whether or not the negatives have a negative image or not.. Ie, are the nice results with shifted colours taken from prints made the same way as prints from negatives, or are they scans of the actual slide material?

Any competent lab should be able to do it for you. If you ask someone about it and they stare blankly at you, leave. They obviously have no idea and haven't done it before so you don't want them wrecking anything.

I had some done recently and the colours are amazing. Here they are..

wall
TREC 1
TREC 2
Park 1
Park 2
Park 3
Park 4
Lock
Culdesac
Bottle
Gutter & leaf shadow
House frame

I haven't changed any colour balance or hue/saturation. That's how they turned out.

:)

Some of them definitely work better than others, subject matter helps a lot. I like the wall and the house frame, too. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back