Cross processing

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by essjayyell, Aug 20, 2006.

1. essjayyell

essjayyell TPF Noob!

I'm familiar with the process but would like to know one thing-

I have 200 iso fuji sensia and I'm shooting it at 100 iso. Should I have it developed as 100 iso or 200 iso? I've heard you can get some cool effects having it developed at its original iso.

I've heard of people shooting 100 iso sensia at 50 and having it developed as normal (100 iso).

2. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The 'common wisdom' is that you will end up with prints that have more intense colors by de-rating a color negative film one stop and then having it processed normally. It will produce a negative with greater overall density. For subjects of normal or sub-normal contrast, a one stop de-rating should not result in blocked highlights. For subjects with high contrast, rate the film normally and then make the time-honored decision to favor the highlights or the shadows as you normally would.

3. Mohain

Mohain TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You'll get usable negs at either. I've been experimenting a bit with this.

I've exposed 200 iso neg film at 50 iso and cross processed it rated at 200 iso and they all came out well over exposed! I've since shot Velvia 100F at 100 and C41 processed it rated @ 100 and that was pretty good. Un colour-corrected scan from the negs were pretty good but the colour corrected prints I had done were rather flat. So I shot a roll at 50 iso and processed it at 100 iso, that was getting better (colour corrected prints still not great but better, uncorrected scan from negs were pretty contrasty). What I'm doing now is shooting Velvia 100 at 50 and going to get it pushed one stop in processing. I expect the negs will be very contrasty but I recon the colour corrected prints will be better. If you want to just scan from the negs and see what colours you get I'd suggest having it developed at 200 iso.

4. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Used to shoot asa 200 film rated at 100 for weddings. Gave us a lot better stobe coverage. All those iffy auto strobe situations disappeared and it wasn't every too much that the processor couldn't fix.