Crumpler Shrinkle Bag Review

ajmall

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photodrew.co.uk
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/index.cfm?photo/crumpler/intro.html?cd=20051510

I have been looking to buying this for a while since buying a new camera. It arrived this morning and I am very disappointed with it.

Good Points:
- Good Build Quality. With its ripstop lining it will certainly last a long time and take a few beatings[/b].
- Water proof/resistant.
- Carries Notebook computer. Very convenient for digital photographers on the go.

Negative Points:
- Bad design in general. The structure of the bag is such that the back of it angles towards the top of the bag. This means if you want to put lenses etc in the top sections of the bag, there is very little space.

http://www.rollingedits.com/pic_uploads/DSC_0412.JPG

- Minimal Space. With a lot of readjustments I managed to squeeze my D70s with 70-200 lens attached in but these readjustments meant I could only fit 2 lenses and a flash in as well. I also had to remove the accessories zip up bag that sticks to the top section.

http://www.rollingedits.com/pic_uploads/DSC_0411.JPG
(F80 Body, detached 70-200, 24mm, 15mm Fisheye, flash cord, vivitar flash.

- Misinformation? Crumpler states on their website it can hold "2 bodies and 5 Lenses". If your bodies are 2 Canon IXUS's then no problem but good look squeezing just one pro sized body in like a 1DS or D2X let alone 2.

- Misguiding size. The external dimensions of the bag are huge yet the internal is tiny in comparison but I think without the angle on the case that holds the camera gear, the bag would work well. I am very frustrated after having spent over £100 on this. I was hoping to have a good bag for a festival I am photographing tomorrow so now I'm rushing around trying to get a Lowepro computrekker on next day delivery!

My advice, spend a few more (and sometimes less!) quid and get a Lowepro.

I have a Shrinkle, had it about 16 months now. It will hold what they say it will, you just have to get extremely creative packing it in there. Forget mounted lenses, unless you only have a couple to pack.

You can gain a lot of room by removing the computer sack. Then you can place lenses so you are viewing the end of it as it sits in the open bag.

Forget using this bag as a shooting bag. Ain't gonna happen. You have to take it off just to get into it. On the other hand nothing will ever fall out of it, even with the zipper completely open.

I only use mine when I travel on planes. I use Lowepro Street & Field stuff in the field.

The Shrinkle is a very well made bag. It'll probably never wear out. It's comfortable, even with a full load (including computer). I don't put my computer in mine because getting the computer out at security check points is a PITA.

If I had been able to see one in person before I bought it I probably wouldn't have bought it. I'd buy a Lowepro if I had to do it again.

I have a crumpler too...I was also really surprised on how little I can actually fit into it. not granted it is one of the best looking and most durable bags I've ever had but I never use it if I plan to use more than one lense...which is almost always. I think the best bag for the buck that i've found was the Adorama Slinger. For $40 bucks I can fit two lenses, my 300d with battery grip and a flash, with all the goodies I need and still have room left over. The only problem i have is the strap is a bit awkward and is designed in such a way that it can only be draped over the right side of the body.
BTW adorama has a sale on them right now for $30. I'm thinking of getting a second and selling the crumpler.
I think my favorite of the bags i have is the Lowepro Nova. It's square shape is perfect for my TLR and it's accessories. It comes with a hidden rain cover and it is extremely comfortable to carry.

Most reactions

Back