*cry* my new lens won't work!

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Dh surprised me with the 28-105 3.5-4.5 d lens I have been wanting, fed ex delivered it just a little bit ago. It's from keh, in ex condition.

My camera will not recognize it. I have locked the aperture ring to f22, restarted the camera, took out the battery, reconnected the lens several times. The pins are springie like they should be. All I am getting is an FEE error and it will not release the shutter.

Please tell me I am missing some trouble shooting step, and it doesn't have to be returned.....

Last edited:
double checking ...the orange lettered f/22 is lined up with the orange dot
AND the little slide lock is locked on the orange dot .. try both ways

double checking ...the orange lettered f/22 is lined up with the orange dot
AND the little slide lock is locked on the orange dot .. try both ways
Yes, I tried it both ways.

Edit: the dot on this lens is green not orange, but it will only lock on f22 when the orange f22 is lined up with the green dot.

when it is locked, can you still move the aperture out of f/22?

I had a lens where the lock was "loose" and you could still move the aperture ring. the lock had to be just perfectly moved to lock properly.

Provided you have a memory card in the camera, with space on said card...my guess is that the lens has a bum CPU in it. KEH is good on returns. Sorry to hear that you got a duff lens.

Crisis over. I guess I accidentally knocked my little tab in when I took off my old lens!

She's talking about the Nikon Df's flippable Ai-coupling tab. Her camera is one of the few current-era Nikons that have a flippable Ai coupling tab on the ring around the lens; on cameras where pre-Ai and non-AI accessories were likely to be used, Nikon used to make those cameras with an Ai coupling tab that could be swung upward, and which would lock in place, allowing the use of pre-Ai or non-Ai stuff. On most newer Nikon bodies, the Ai coupling tab is permanently in-position, and will not swing upward.

Here is the tab, and the tiny release button, seen on an F3: The Df body and non Ai lenses: Nikon FX SLR (DF, D1-D4, D600-D800) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

She's talking about the Nikon Df's flippable Ai-coupling tab. Her camera is one of the few current-era Nikons that have a flippable Ai coupling tab on the ring around the lens; on cameras where pre-Ai and non-AI accessories were likely to be used, Nikon used to make those cameras with an Ai coupling tab that could be swung upward, and which would lock in place, allowing the use of pre-Ai or non-Ai stuff. On most newer Nikon bodies, the Ai coupling tab is permanently in-position, and will not swing upward.

Here is the tab, and the tiny release button, seen on an F3: The Df body and non Ai lenses: Nikon FX SLR (DF, D1-D4, D600-D800) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Yep! Thats the one.
looks like I need to download the manual for this lens somewhere! Seems to have a few quirks, like, I can only switch the focus limiter when its focused to infinity. Im sure impressed with how sharp it is though. (for a zoom anyways. :giggle: )

Most reactions

New Topics

Back