Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In an effort (but NOT a New Year's resolution) to do more personal and creative work, I wandered down to the beach with a crystal (really glass, but who's counting?) ball to see if I could come up with anything interesting. I quite like this one, but unfortunately, missed the flares, which should have been flagged. Still, I rather liked it. Trying to decide if I should invert the image so the tree is "right side up" or leave it as is? How say you? As always, comments, critique and suggestions appreciated.

Crystal_Whiffin_1.jpg

I'd pull a tractor up next to the tree, and do a handstand on the seat

Last edited:
I like the way the foreground curvesTowards the tree, is that part of the effect? Or was the landscape actually a bit windy? Well done! Looks like you had a fun adventure!

Personally I think it would have been much better with a lot of white stuff around and ice crystals forming on the ball. Something is wrong with your weather over there.

As with others I would leave as is. Cool shot.

I have been seeing more and more and more of these types of shots! I like this one, but if there's a nit, I might like to see what it looks like with the sky tones darkened a bit., and maybe a bit more contrast or clarity added to the scene as well. Still...it's an interesting wrinkle on modern-era landscape and scenic shots.

Nice. I just picked up a crystal ball myself. Should be an interesting New Year.

Very nice.
I like it the way it is and even like the bottom flare since it creates a curving light around the right side of the ball, almost like smoke.

Leave it as is, I think! Makes it more interesting.
Thanks Dean!

Leave it as is, I think! Makes it more interesting.

x2
:)

In an effort (but NOT a New Year's resolution) t

:allteeth::allteeth::allteeth::allteeth::allteeth::allteeth::allteeth::allteeth:

I like it as is.
Got it!

I'd pull a tractor up next to the tree, and do a handstand on the seat
I'd pay a lot of money to see you doing a handstand anywhere, never mind a tractor seat! :p

I like the way the foreground curvesTowards the tree, is that part of the effect? Or was the landscape actually a bit windy? Well done! Looks like you had a fun adventure!
A bit of each; this is a peninsula that sticks out into the harbour and is always a breezy, but the ball has quite a pronounced effect as well.

Personally I think it would have been much better with a lot of white stuff around and ice crystals forming on the ball. Something is wrong with your weather over there.

As with others I would leave as is. Cool shot.
Thanks, and yeah, there is! It was only 31 this morning... there's s*** on the truck I have to scrape off before I can drive!

I have been seeing more and more and more of these types of shots! I like this one, but if there's a nit, I might like to see what it looks like with the sky tones darkened a bit., and maybe a bit more contrast or clarity added to the scene as well. Still...it's an interesting wrinkle on modern-era landscape and scenic shots.
I did play around with that a bit, but I wasn't able to do it in a way that I was happy with due to the flaring and ghosting on the ball itself. I think to actually nail this, it really needs to be right in-camera.

Nice. I just picked up a crystal ball myself. Should be an interesting New Year.
Thanks, and yes. Good, cheap fun! :)

Very nice.
I like it the way it is and even like the bottom flare since it creates a curving light around the right side of the ball, almost like smoke.
Thanks Alex! Good points!

I prefer these crystal ball shots to be shown as-shot, with the landscape upside down.

Wow! This looks like a lotta fun. As is for me.
It is... drag your butt down to this end of the Island and we can go shoot some balls! ;)

I prefer these crystal ball shots to be shown as-shot, with the landscape upside down.
Agree. I actually tried a version where I rotated the ball 180 so that the refracted image was correctly oriented; it looked silly!

Ugh. Now I need to get one of these. They look like a lot of fun.

Most reactions

Back