CS2 - resize layers?

shingfan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
if i have two layers on one image, how do i resize one layer without affecting the other layer? thanks

Edit > Transform > Scale... on the layer you want to alter... if you want to constrain the proportions, hold shift while you move the corner of the image.

perfect.....thank you sir ^_^

is it possible to centre the resized layer afterward?

you can easily align linked layers horizontally or vertically

assuming you use CS2..............

they must be linked first using the layer control window. Select the layers you wish to align using shift or control and left click.
then click the link icon ( it looks lik 8 on its side)

Layer>Align and select the edge or centre you wish to align by.

one point to note - if the layers are different sizes then make sure the active layer is the largest one, normally the background - otherwise those larger layers will be pulled to align with a smaller layer and can leave empty gaps in your image.

You'll know what i mean if it happens to you!!!

you can easily align linked layers horizontally or vertically

assuming you use CS2..............

they must be linked first using the layer control window. Select the layers you wish to align using shift or control and left click.
then click the link icon ( it looks lik 8 on its side)

Layer>Align and select the edge or centre you wish to align by.

one point to note - if the layers are different sizes then make sure the active layer is the largest one, normally the background - otherwise those larger layers will be pulled to align with a smaller layer and can leave empty gaps in your image.

You'll know what i mean if it happens to you!!!

yes....i find that i can align to the edges....but i cant seem to find a way to align centre?.....like a way to align the layer in the middle of the frame....if you know what i mean

in that case it you need to have the background layer as active.
then the other layers will be aligned according to that one.
you could lock the background layer too so that it's unable to move. That way the others should be forced to align according to the locked one.

darich pretty much said it... you need to link the two layers. Select both layers (ctrl click on both)... Go into the drop down menu on the corner of the layers pallet... choose link layers...
Now when you click the Align tabs (across the top bar.. you shouldnt need to go into the menus) you should be able to fist vetically justify it.... then horizontally... and it will do both, rather than just one or the other like before.

Just a tip: When you have a layer selected press "control-T" (edit>free transform) that way you can move the layer all around the canvas, resize it, change perspective, rotate, etc. Helps to see which final result you are looking for.

matt, that doesnt work for me... unless im doing something wrong or looking at a different menu?

Select all and click on the layer you want to center. Using the align tools on the top tool options bar (I don't know what you call it exactly. The bar across the top under the menus that has tool specific options. Make sure you have the move tool selected). Press the icons to center vertically and horizontally, or whatever you choose.

align.gif

oh k... its pretty much the same as i was doing then.... except by selecting all you dont have to link them. There still isnt a single button for center tho... as i mentioned above, i have to do the vertical center and horizontal center buttons to get it in the middle.

Yes, you have to center it vertically and horizontally to have it dead center. You don't need to link everything though. Those centering controls do work within a selection, whatever size that selection may be. The only time you need to link layers is when you are distributing them evenly.

yea thats cool... thats pretty much how i do it... just wondered if there was a single button just to center everything like you get in some other programmes. ;)

It works this way in all Adobe programs, so I'm pretty used to it. I can do it pretty quickly using ctrl+A and hitting the two buttons quickly in succession.

Most reactions

Back