CS3 problem (Noob)

Trace63

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im hitting the sac soon so Ill try to be more specific tomorrow, but I was trying to go through some simple tutorials. i.e., teeth whitening, eye enhancement, etc.
So I open up a new layer right? Then I try to select a certain area, lets say the teeth. Then when I go to hue/sat, it keeps telling me "could not complete (Hue/Saturation for example) because the selected is empty"

What am I doing wrong?

You select the teeth on the existing layer, then click add new adjustment layer.

Don't add a new layer then select. Because otherwise your selection is empty.

I just tried that and it didnot work. I selected the teeth, then clicked on add adjustment layer, and within that menu I chose hue/saturation. Instead of it changing just the selected area it started to change the whole picture. :(

You have to copy your background layer and use that. (drag the background layer to the 'create new layer' button.)

Well the benefit of it being an adjustment "layer" is that after you change it you can create a layer mask. I don't know why it isn't automatically working for you but when you make a selection and then add a new "adjustment layer" it should automatically mask to the selection. Are you sure you're doing an adjustment layer?

Well the other workaround is to duplicate the layer as ATXshots mentioned above, make the adjustment over the entire picture, and then afterwards select the teeth and click the "add vector mask" button in the layers palate. Which will restrict that new layer to the masked area.

In my experience w/ Photoshop, you first select the area of interest (say w/ the "lasso" tool), than you click the layer icon to select your layer of choice, (for teeth you want to lighten, I usually use a "curves" layer), and than just do a little painting to blend.

Hope this helps.

Most reactions

Back