CS4 Announced

Usually Adobe has sites setup discussing in detail what the differences and advantages are. Its not even released yet, however they are ready to take your money on preorders... lol

I haven't touched more than *maybe* 15% of the capabilities of CS3, and I am very happy with the results. For me to change right now is not the first place I would stick my disposable income.

Biggest difference will be performance. To those geeky enough to understand, they use GPU for some background processing, and any Shader 3.0 capable video card for realtime rendering of photos. Also 64bit support on windows for the memory junkies.

For those that don't understand that simple explaination: The video card has a processor far better suited for the type of maths required to maniuplate photos. Things should be much faster, zooming will be stepless, and no more jagged lines, rotations will happen in real time instead of "click, rotate, wait for updated image"

I'm pleased to see they are taking this step as I really think offloading processing to other parts of the computer is the future :)

It will be 64bit then? Very nice...

GPU rendering will be nice as well, especially if running lightroom and PS at the same time....

Glad to hear they're implementing these processing changes... and I'll buy it some day, when I also buy a computer than can actually handle all that.

Feature-wise, I'm good for now.

That Content Aware Scaling looks very impressive. Something tells me it'll have limited application depending on its ability to render properly for print, but on paper - amazing.

Weren't Bridge and Lightroom doing this in CS3?

Depends on the computer. It is on mine, but then I have a 2.4Ghz quadcore, and when rotating an 8bit image the cpu spikes to 70%. What we are talking about now is 100% smooth rotations regardless of size or bitrate with no effect on CPU at all, since the GPU is very well tuned for exactly the kind of maths that this involves, and the CPU is not.

It'll be interesting to see how well this works :)

I will prolly upgrade... then again, I am still on non-intel native CS.

Depends on the computer. It is on mine, but then I have a 2.4Ghz quadcore, and when rotating an 8bit image the cpu spikes to 70%.

Huh? What are we talking about here? I have a 2.66 dual quad (8 cores) and it's not even close. And there's no OpenGL manipulations. You can get that through the new 3D positioning thingy if your version of PS includes that. But otherwise there's just no way I don't care if you're in a 500 core super computer. The interface isn't there. To rotate arbitrarily you have to type it in. To rotate 90˚/180˚ you have to menu select the option. There is no "rotate tool" available for real-time rotates. The same is basically true of image resizing too. The GUI just isn't there for "zooming will be stepless, and no more jagged lines, rotations will happen in real time instead of "click, rotate, wait for updated image"" as was the statement.

What we are talking about now is 100% smooth rotations regardless of size or bitrate with no effect on CPU at all, since the GPU is very well tuned for exactly the kind of maths that this involves, and the CPU is not.

It'll be interesting to see how well this works :)

I'm officially confused. Nothing new for me I guess :D

I think maybe I understand tho... Umm maybe...

Im thinking I will upgrade this time. Im using CS2 and, had not planned on going to 3. I like to do revision steps in twos. The GPU use is one of the reasons for me to go now. It makes sense to use the GPUs over CPUs.

I'm officially confused. Nothing new for me I guess :D

:er: select all, right click, free transform. Manipulating that is almost realtime on my computer, but is a click rotate and wait operation on the machine upstairs which isn't slow by any means. Also when you transform it's all jagged approximations and only rendered when you hit enter. I am assuming this is what they were talking about will be updated in realtime to work more like (but I hope faster than) the rotations in Lightroom 2.0

Bloody photoshop and it's too many features. I should have been clear given that I can think off the top of my head of at least another two methods to rotate something :er:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back