Curling film (not about scanning)

burtharrris

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
When I develop my film it keeps curling up like a taco shell. When I put it into the polyethylene PrintFile sheets to put in a binder they still curl a bit. Is there something i'm not doing during washing or something? Thanks.

are you using a hot air film drier?

I've had some film do this from time to time.

After you put them in the neg file, put a book on top of them. That should flatten them out in a few hours.

I just hang them up by clothespins on a string across my closet. No extra heat. I have them underneath some books right now, so I hope that that will straighten them out. Thanks

Clothespins on both ends?

Use a pin on the bottom to weigh it down. That won't do much to keep the taco style curl away, but it will keep it from looking like a cinnamon roll....hmm...I'm hungry....

Some films are thinner by nature, they tend to curl more. Also, old, expired films tend to curl more.

doesnt using a film drier leave streaks on the film?

anyways, when you hang your film, attach some clothes pins to the bottom of the film as well. it adds extra weight and makes it drie straight.

Thanks max, but thats not the problem I have. I already use clothespins so it is straight longways, I guess it's curling like a taco, not a cinnamon roll.

I know for example, formapan curls like crazy after you develop it. I always just hung one end with 2 pegs (medium format) and put 2 pegs at the bottom, and let it dry overnight. It lost most the curl and was far more managable. I guess you could also try putting the sleeves the middle of a vey big book?

After you wash your film, use PhotoFlo on em to eliminate the streaking. Hanging with a weighted clothes pin at the bottom is all you need to do but be sure the film has dried completely before taking em off the clothes pis. It may feel dry to the touch but the emulsion may still be damp and tends to curl later. Give em at least a few hours to dry well.

Most reactions

Back