Currently Got FujiFilm S7000, Should i upgrade?

cbay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.desigzgallery.com
Hello Everyone

Ive currently got a Fujifilm S7000 with most the avalible lenses, and i love it. I am considering getting a new digital camera though which has a larger selection of lenses avalible to it. Has anyone got any ideas of which they would reccomend?

Well I might as well say it before anyone else does:

Canon EOS350D or the Nikon D70s

Both would meet your requirements in terms of lenses and both give great value for money. Get down to your local camera outlet and handle both, then have a look for the cheapest prices once you've picked.

Rob

Yes, if you want to upgrade...a DSLR is the way to go. Not only will you be able to use a vast array of lenses & accesories...but the camera's performance will be much better than what you have now.

The size of the sensor in your camera 1/1.7 "

The size of the sensor in the 350D 22.2 x 14.8 mm

It makes me happy that there are so many people now that recommend both the Nikon and the Canon. Such a change from how it used to be. :D

Both are good cameras and I fourth the above suggestions.

Honestly I am a Canon fan, but also agree there is much more respect between the Canon and Nikon followers than there ever used to be. Afterall they are both very respectable cameras with great quality.

agree with others however, why do you want to upgrade, what do you feel you have outgrown. remember with a dslr you will probably end up with 2 or 3 lenses and if you go for the canon you may start thinking about "L" lenses loads of ££££££££.

the 350D, Nikon D70 - you may also want to consider the 300D or if you have the money the 20D has a lot of functioality.

but as i said - why do you want to upgrade - how does the the current camera let you down now?

It doesnt really let me down, i was just considering upgrading. As i have all the avalible lenses (0.5x wide, 2x tele & 3x tele) and was intrested in a camera which i could expand further with, as you can see on www.desigzgallery.com i have taken a few good pictures with my FujiFilm S7000 and i am happy with performance and ability. Just not with selection of lenses avalible. Anyone got any further ideas whilst considering new info?

Go to www.dpreview.com to check out the features of the cameras you're interested in. That way you can get an unbiased review of most of the cameras on the market and will let you do a feature side by side comparison for every camera on the market.

I don't know a lot about your camera, but if you can do everything you need to with it, there's no compelling reason to upgrade. The only reason I did is because my old camera was useless...

If you really want the lenses, than that IS a compelling reason to upgrade. Basically, you're going to need at least $1200, and if there's nothing you can think of that's better to buy right now, go for it. And, like everyone else, I'll recommend Rebel XT and Nikon D70/D70s. Nearly identical in image quality, 350D has the slight crop advantage, while the Nikon has the slight feature advantage. Neither are enough to give one or the other the edge, imo, so the only real way to decide is to hold both, and pick the one you like better. Hope I helped :)

Not being biased - but i know canon and have canon - so nothing against Nikon - great Kit I just dont know it very well, and would recommend you have a look at the D70 http://www.dpforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11642#post11642
just not with selection of lenses avalible.
well that may take some money - you have a range on the camera of 38-210mm 35mm equivalent with the .5 and 3x I guess that gives you around 19 - 630mm in 35mm terms. - remember thats is 35mm and the 20D/350D/300d has a crop factor of 1.6 and the nikon has a crop factor of 1.5 - so a 19mm 35mm lens on those camera's will give a field of view of 19x1.6 on canon and 19x1.5 on nikon
so you are looking at 10mm to get the wide angle you may be used to.

and if you want high quality from the pictures you will be looking at "L" glass from canon.
also at the 35mm end you have an aperture of F2.8 - but i think its F8 at the 210mm end - so have a look at the canon lenses you fancy and price.
theres a great canon forum here http://photography-on-the.net/forum/usercp.php? {hope members here dont object to posting this forum} which has loads of lens advice
if you go for the 20D as thats has a lot of features so you wont be in danger of growing out of
then the lenses look at price of L glass the 17-40mm gets great reviews
the kit lens that comes with the camera has a few bad remarks on quality.

but you are looking at 1000's ££££££££'s

have a look at this website for sample pictures http://www.steves-digicams.com/default.htm and they have your camera there too so you can compare sample pictures from your camera with others

Most reactions

New Topics

Back