Custom Computer?

reducing noise or grain from high res scans or images

True that! This is about the only time I can pick my nose. But given a $4,800 budget I imagine most photogz would mix up the cart a bit. :confused:

-Shea

True that! This is about the only time I can pick my nose. But given a $4,800 budget I imagine most photogz would mix up the cart a bit. :confused:

-Shea

funny enough, that in my mixed film / digital world, the most demanding computational tasks are related to scans, not to images from digital cams ;)

Thanks for your responses everyone. My dad and I have already been going over a lot of what I will need and I was just curious to see what other photographers were using. He already knows that my main emphasis is to have a computer that is FAST while running all of my editing software and a good monitor :)

The one thing I try and keep in mind on computer and alot of my electronics is I will either need to or want to replace them in 3-5 years so I try to make sure that it will pay for itself and its replacement in that time. With that this is my current set up.
My location laptop is a MacBook Pro 2.4 SR 4 gig ram 200Gb 7200 rpm hard drive w. duel 160 externals on fire wires for back ups.
My main is a Mac pro duel quad core / 6 Gig Ram, 4 750 7200 internal HD's, & ATI 1900 graphics card, and a decent monitor set up

So, is that an 8-core Mac Pro? I hate you!:p

I just got to impatient waiting for my old computer to do things :er: so I just bought the biggest baddest I could :gun: and am very happy I did :smileys:

I built my own system for photography.
Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 (Overclocked to 3.0ghz). 8gb RAM. 2 160gb WD Raptor Drives (10k). 2 Nvidia 8800 GTS 512mb Video Cards. I use a Dell 24'' Monitor...and I'm thinking about getting a second one for dual screen action!

This system screams. When I'm in lightroom and I say edit photo in Photoshop, Photoshop opens instantly. I love this kind of speed. I also use my computer for video editing and it is blazing fast in this regard as well. Honestly though...what saves me the most time is my pen table (WACOM Intuos 3). I can use a pen to edit instead of a mouse, and I love it. Speeds up my workflow a ton.

I built my own system for photography.
Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 (Overclocked to 3.0ghz). 8gb RAM. 2 160gb WD Raptor Drives (10k). 2 Nvidia 8800 GTS 512mb Video Cards. I use a Dell 24'' Monitor...and I'm thinking about getting a second one for dual screen action!

This system screams. When I'm in lightroom and I say edit photo in Photoshop, Photoshop opens instantly. I love this kind of speed. I also use my computer for video editing and it is blazing fast in this regard as well. Honestly though...what saves me the most time is my pen table (WACOM Intuos 3). I can use a pen to edit instead of a mouse, and I love it. Speeds up my workflow a ton.

What OS are you running with 8gb of ram? 64bit?

What OS are you running with 8gb of ram? 64bit?

Yes, I'm running 64bit. For those of you wondering why the question, 32bit operating systems can only support up to 4gb or RAM (excluding Linux). I was running Windows XP Pro 64bit until I got my 8800 GTS 512mb which support DirectX10. I figured I'd give Vista a try. It hasn't been too bad...but I also work IT so I know how to get around a lot of problems.

I didn't realize that the Adobe products work in a 64bit OS. Are the versions specific to 64bit or are you running 32bit apps?

I didn't realize that the Adobe products work in a 64bit OS. Are the versions specific to 64bit or are you running 32bit apps?

Just running CS3 and Lightroom as 32bit applications. Just about all applications will work in a 64bit environment...it's drivers that you have to worry about. If Adobe programs need 64bit drivers they must already be packaged with them...which would make sense because Adobe seems pretty on top of things when it comes to being compatible with the newest thing out there...and 64bit has been around for years now.

Well, I just built a computer with a Core2 Quad. I have 4 gigs of ram but 32bit XP only recognizes 3.25 of it. I'd love to upgrade to 64 bit and buy another 4.

Well, I just built a computer with a Core2 Quad. I have 4 gigs of ram but 32bit XP only recognizes 3.25 of it. I'd love to upgrade to 64 bit and buy another 4.

I slightly remember there being a way to trick XP 32bit into seeing all 4gb...because it is supposed to be able to...I think if you do a Google search you'd find something. There are some commands that you have to do in the CMD and it should recognize all 4. Biggest thing about moving to 64bit is making sure your hardware will work. I know my wireless card (DLink) would not work no matter what I did...I eventually bought a new one. The new one is a linksys and I couldn't even use linksys drivers...I had to get the chipset maker's drivers (broadcom I believe). Everything else works great though.

Also, I checked out your website...Your images are stunning. I really like them. I wish I lived near a huge lake/ocean like you do. That would be awesome. Great portrait/promotional shots as well.

a way to trick XP 32bit into seeing all 4gb
It is called the 3GB switch (sounds like it is already being used) and involves editing your boot.ini - however it will not enable the full 4 gigs as this is a limitation of the OS.

You can read my notes on it HERE.

-Shea :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back