Custom white balance ?

AdriBella

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have tried the two different methods for this on my D70. Measure and use photo options. I used the use photo option WB the other day and I must've done it wrong. Here is what I did, maybe you can help me out;
Placed gray card in front of subject.
Switched to manual focus.
Filled all of viewfinder with gray card and took correct exposure.
The card looked BLUE. So I tried it out anyway and of course my subject was blue :lol:.

What am I doing wrong? I have gotten correct CWB before using a different method but I thought using the gray card was to be more accurate :confused:

Just to be sure...after taking the shot of the grey card, did you then set a custom WB by choosing that image?

Have you tried using a white card?

Oh sorry, forgot to include that. Yes, I did go and select the image for CWB.

I have never heard of a white card. Wouldn't that make all your whites 18% grey? Eek, I am confusing myself more. I think I need to start playing around with it now and see what I come up with. I have successfully gotten the correct WB but can't remember which method I used LOL.

Don't confuse setting white balance with setting exposure.

A grey card is for setting proper exposure, although I have read that it will also work for setting your WB...but I was never sure about that.

You certainly can use a white card...or anything white, to set your CWB. But, you can't use a white card to set your exposure (unless you dial in exposure compensation).

I got it! I was using the wrong option. Just had to re read my manual on using the measure option.

A grey card is used for exposure and white balance.

Most reactions

Back