Cutting Own Mats - Follow-Up Questions

A

astrostu

Some may remember I posted about a month ago asking some basic questions about cutting mats. After some further research and looking around, I've decided to go ahead and get the Logan 760 cutter, which is $40 more expensive through Adorama than the 750 through Amazon (vs. the normal $100 price difference). The 760 will cut up to 60" mats as opposed to the 750 cutting up to 40" ... though I don't see an application of the larger ones at the moment, I don't see a reason to not spend the extra $40 to get the larger one in case I "need" to use it later on.

At this point, though, I have a few more perhaps basic questions:

(1) For cutting double mats, the interior mat is cut to the same outside dimensions as the top mat, right?

(2) What do you use for backing? A second (third, fourth in the case of double or triple mat) piece of matboard seems somewhat expensive, but cardboard seems tacky.

(3) What adhesives do you use for the photos? I've seen "archival artists' tape" recommended - is that the actual name of the product, or is there something more specific I should be looking for? Note that I don't want to invest in a dry-mounting system.

(4) I'm assuming I will need to get a ruler as well. Can I just get like a metal yardstick from a hardware store, can I get by with something else, or do I need to go for something different? Or will the cutter have the ruler on it (I can't actually tell from the instruction manual nor photos on the site)?

(5) After some reading on ply, I'm assuming I should generally go for 4-ply mats?

(6) And there are SO MANY different types of matboard out there. Is there a concise listing somewhere (or can someone explain it?) that explains the basic types?

Thanks for the help.

(3) What adhesives do you use for the photos? I've seen "archival artists' tape" recommended - is that the actual name of the product, or is there something more specific I should be looking for? Note that I don't want to invest in a dry-mounting system.

I use what's called "ATG tape" to attach the mats to the backing board, and "Artist Tape" to attach the photo to the mat.

(4) I'm assuming I will need to get a ruler as well. Can I just get like a metal yardstick from a hardware store, can I get by with something else, or do I need to go for something different? Or will the cutter have the ruler on it (I can't actually tell from the instruction manual nor photos on the site)?

Most cutters will have measurements on them. The "L" shaped ones are nice for checking that your corners are square.

(1) For cutting double mats, the interior mat is cut to the same outside dimensions as the top mat, right?

Not necessarily. It depends on the technique you use to cut the mats. The bottom mat can be slightly smaller.

(2) What do you use for backing? A second (third, fourth in the case of double or triple mat) piece of matboard seems somewhat expensive, but cardboard seems tacky.

When you say "backing," I presume you mean the mount... the board to which the work is fastened. I always use some type of archival board. In the long run (over the years), it may be much more expensive if a material is used that can cause damage to the art.

I think any photo 8x10 and larger must be mounted. If you won't be dry-mounting, try 3M Photo Mount spray.

I suspect the cutter will have a ruler, but it never hurts to have a loose one handy.

(5) After some reading on ply, I'm assuming I should generally go for 4-ply mats?

Yes... 2 ply is used as a buffer/barrier to protect art from acidic materials and is too thin for making a satisfying mat.

(6) And there are SO MANY different types of matboard out there. Is there a concise listing somewhere (or can someone explain it?) that explains the basic types.

Long ago, I settled on Bainbridge's Alphamat boards. They all have good archival specs and are a joy to cut.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

-Pete

Thanks for the replies, wildmavin and Pete. So neither of you recommend using mounting corners? And yes, by backing I meant what the photo will actually be attached to.

I've always used mounting corners. :/

You can change photos and stuff this way.

So neither of you recommend using mounting corners?

Mounting corners? Are those like those little black corners used in scarp books?

If so, I suppose they'd be fine for small prints... 5x7 and smaller. I don't recommend fastening all four corners. If you're not going to mount the print, I suggest hanging the print on the backing with T hinges of archival tape.

BUT really, photographs should be mounted. Ripples don't enhance any presentation.

-Pete

Most reactions

Back