CWP

flyingseale

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went to the Cotswold Wildlife Park at the weekend; my first trip to a 'zoo' since starting with digital photography with my D80. Wasn't sure what setting to use, so went for 'sport' in order to get sharp images with narrow dof. I wonder if aperture priority with auto iso enabled would have been a better choice? Also decided not to carry the tripod, but now wonder if a monopod would be a useful piece of kit for this type of photography? All images taken with my cheap Tamron 70-300.
Anyway, here are six that I liked. Tell me what you think and where I could improve.

Mike

1. Barn Owl
DSC_0008-Edit-800-1.jpg

2. Meerkat on duty
DSC_0085-Edit-800.jpg

3. Mother and kitten (if that's what you call a baby meerkat?)
DSC_0094-Edit-800.jpg

4. Meerkat on duty 'having a rest'
DSC_0097-Edit-800.jpg

5. Yellow mongoose on the lookout
DSC_0103-Edit-800.jpg

6. These guys were so cute. Every time they saw new movement they raced aroud to get a better view. This one was staring at my daughter.
DSC_0106-Edit-800.jpg

The last shot is awsome! those are thee coolest eyes! and nice focus! the majority of the rest, while nicely composed, seem slightly blurry.
Looks like a fun day at the zoo... Nice work!

JC

I like the last two shots the most. The owl shot would have been awesome if it would have been looking at you! ;)

WHOOOOOOO Slow down there buddy, you mean to tell me you went to CWP and didn't post any Otter photos??

Your sick I tells ya, sick

The Barn Owl shot is pretty good for someone who doesn't normally do wildlife shots, they can be a real sod to meter

And I see the little meerkats are a bit bigger than when I was last there

I think those are all great - just how cheap is "cheap" for you?
I'm glad you like them. As for cheap...the Tamron f4-5.6 LD macro cost £100 last year. It's about the cheapest xx-300mm lens you can get.
JCphoto said:
and nice focus! the majority of the rest, while nicely composed, seem slightly blurry.
I'm not sure if it's camera shake or the quality of the lens? Probably a bit of both. It is also very slow to focus which is certainly not ideal for capturing moving critters. The last one of the yellow mongoose possbly came out best because it stood still for me.
lostprophet said:
Your sick I tells ya, sick
The Barn Owl shot is pretty good for someone who doesn't normally do wildlife shots, they can be a real sod to meter
And I see the little meerkats are a bit bigger than when I was last there
I took one otter picture...it didn't look any good. They kept rummaging in the undergrowth in the shade.
Most of my owl shots were too bright. In fact I think most of the shots all day were over-exposed...a lesson learned and something to change next time.
There was another, smaller meerkat. I guess it was born in the last few weeks since you were there.

Most reactions

Back