Cyanotype

Discussion in 'Alternative Techniques & Photo Gallery' started by Tuonenlapsi, Sep 16, 2015.

1. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Multi-layer toning....? I've not heard of that term, it sounds more like something one would do in PS or some such processing program. I've done split toning, usually with sepia, where you dilute the bleach and pull the print before the blacks have been bleached out. You end up with only the lighter values getting bleached, and subsequently, sepia toned but with strong blacks left in the image.

um, there is also dual toning, toning first in one toner, rinsing/washing, then toning in another. The effects can be really cool.

What is multi-layer toning?

2. Tuonenlapsi

Tuonenlapsi TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think it worked by first putting multiple layers of the cyanotype mix on the paper and toning between multiple times of rinsing... Anyways it must be just experimenting and nothing confirmed to work!
    I've tried the split toning, but I always end up pulling the print too late and honestly have given up.

I might ask the chem teacher at my work to make some proper solutions for me :D
    (we were actually thinking about a joint course where chem students would learn mixing photography solutions and art students would then use them)

3. Tuonenlapsi

Tuonenlapsi TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Derrel! I'm hoping most of them will take the Advanced Photography course, so I can get to teaching some darkroom basics.:courage:

4. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ah, that makes sense. It also sounds fun! As beautiful as cyanotypes are, I've never done one, or anything like gum that involves coating/sensitizing paper. It's on the bucket list! The alt stuff I do are processes that I can move into after obtaining regular darkroom prints.

Have fun with your students - I hope they do sign up for your Advanced Photography course!

5. Tuonenlapsi

Tuonenlapsi TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Thanks a lot :) I really recommend this technique, it's so cheap too compared to regular darkroom stuff -- as for basics you need only one chemical!