Cyber Criminals Attack?

crusheddiced

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I heard that there are numerous cyber criminals around who can easily get information from a computer hard drive and emails. I'm just worried about my credit card getting billed for purchases without my authorization or to find out that they already got my money in the bank. Such cases are rampant nowadays and I don't want to be a victim.

What do you think? How do I protect my computer from this attacks? Should I consult an IT
services provider to avoid it? I would greatly appreciate your suggestions:)

Cancel every credit card and utility account you have, don't use banks, and make sure you only use cash. Now the hard part - your employer has to remove all electronic records, as well as the various government agencies that you've ever dealt with. The same is true for every place you've ever used a credit or debit card. You can easily turn off your computers for good (don't forget your cell phones and tablets). Play it safe and remove the hard drives and put them into battery acid to demolish them. Oh, and all of the other places on the 'net that you've been to - you have to try to get those records deleted (good luck with that) because all of these places can get hacked, too. :eek: ;)

Or you could try to Google "Identity protection" but many companies will paint a gloom picture like I did above to make sure you buy their service. I have a free five-year Experian account thanks to the university I went to getting hacked. I'm waiting to see what the Federal Government (US) will do; I applied for a few jobs so I'm sure I'm among the four million that were hacked a while back. Otherwise, keep an eye on your bills and credit report.

Last edited:
I have a real simple strategy to prevent cyber-attacks.

I just go through life flat broke. If I don't have it, they can't steal it.

Cancel every credit card and utility account you have, don't use banks, and make sure you only use cash.

Wow.. seriously? Who taught you about proper security? I mean honestly, all of that stuff is a good first step and all but pretty much useless until you line your entire apartment with tinfoil to prevent the mind reading devices from simply getting all the info they need directly from your noggin.

Sheesh.

Lok, ok, but seriously, to the OP - the best defense against such things is simple common sense. If someone sends you a link via email, don't open it. If an offer sounds to good to be true, it is.

When doing business online, if possible use a disposable credit card - and only put money into that account when you are about to purchase something. I've bought things from Amazon, but even if they get hacked tomorrow and someone gets that credit card info, it will do them no good.

You can never be 100% secure of course, but for the most part if you use a bit of common sense you reduce your risk tremendously.

Cancel every credit card and utility account you have, don't use banks, and make sure you only use cash.

Wow.. seriously? Who taught you about proper security? I mean honestly, all of that stuff is a good first step and all but pretty much useless until you line your entire apartment with tinfoil to prevent the mind reading devices from simply getting all the info they need directly from your noggin.

Sheesh.
Learn to recognize satire, dude.

Fixed with smileys.

one of our debit cards went to Mexico without us. It was literally not a big deal at all. Mastercard called up within 24 hours of the transaction, and all we had to do was talk to the bank and have a statement notarized.

I don't know if every case ends up this way, but I think having your (or your children's) SSN stolen is bigger thing to worry about.

Fighting out of the red corner wearing the white trunks............................Snow "Claws" Polar Bear. And fighting out of the blue corner wearing the black trunks.........................Robin "Silverback" Gorilla.

Lettttsssss Get Ready to RUUUUMMMMBLLLLEEEEE!!!!!!

Touch paws and come out FIGHTING!!!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Actually if you enter the Witness Protection Program you can get a whole new identity to outwit the crackers.

P.S. Robbins.......It's a Joke. :345: :biggrin-93: :laugh2:

I can buy an entirely new identity online in a matter of minutes.

dont give your vital SII and PII to the gov't...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back