Cyclist

I have not ridden a my old Diamondback for a very long time. I just clean it up and get it tune after storing in the shed in a long, long time. Just curious, what kind the bike do you ride?
they still make diamond back? you are actually throwing me into a past history here from the 80's bmx. Seems most of these companies still exist (wicked cool i thought they were long gone). Just did a search, haro,, mongoose, redline, univega.
nice to see they are still around. i think i saw some mongoose in a walmart though, cant be a good thing. Hope the companies didnt all go to chit with that mentality.
I remember how excited i was when i was like 12 years old just to get a used univega frame. Still had to build the bike, but i was ecstatic.

Univega Models

Redline Bicycles

Diamondback Bicycles - Home

Mongoose Mongoose BMX Mountain and Urban Bikes

just good to see them still around. And it looks like the prices (inflation adjusted) have actually dropped.

wonder if they sell as many as they used to. Back in the eighties and early nineties this was all the "in thing" and these things were like owning gold.

weird thought, a haro master retailed in 86 for 4-500 dollars. Actual retail msrp probably higher, this is actually what they sold for. The pre 86 back to 84 models were frames incomplete kits and still cost 300 dollars even if you ordered it through a magazine. Again, msrp probably higher..

This was back in the 80's!
My old univega frame (early eighties i bought used for 45 dollars just frame) was probably actually a 200-300 dollar just frame as well without the kit. I dont even remember what my redline cost. But it wasn't cheap at all.
current haro prices...
Haro Bikes BMX - 2014 Bikes

The highest price complete bmx kit is only 719 at full msrp! so is probably going for 600 ish. Closest thing current, to what would have been a haro master then (though it is pretty freakn ugly). figure inflation, they are way cheaper now. That is only a hundred dollar price increase in 25 years! Granted, they look a hell of a lot uglier and less dressy now and wouldnt say they flourished with style anylonger.

here is the kicker, ran through the search engine looking for 86 haromasters. found anything from a grand for to to 2500
1986 Haro Master Survivor - For Sale - BMX Society community forums

so your old bike that cost 5 bills would have doubled or quadrupled in value.
Pretty sure the new ones wont do that.
think i might leave my haro in the shed for another ten years...

Last edited:
Today, the high end bikes are designed for competition. These are lighter and aerodynamic designed to make the bikes go faster. So, these glide through the wind. Like you see at walmart, these bikes are pretty heavy.

Today, the high end bikes are designed for competition. These are lighter and aerodynamic designed to make the bikes go faster. So, these glide through the wind. Like you see at walmart, these bikes are pretty heavy.
walmart bikes, i dont know what they are. never thought i would even see a mongoose in walmart until i did. Made be seriously wonder what the deal was.

dude. i had known. i would have the univega and redline out in the shed too. holy chit..

Gorgeous Redline MX 2 II Restored BMX Old School Show Bike Great Investment eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Price List Gilmour Bicycles

here you go. Buy one of these. we actually had a bike shop that sold some, going back YEARS.

cannondale is still in business.. MOUNTAIN - BIKES - 2015

okay, been off on this tangent too long. I should probably be doing something more constructive

hey, if it works who cares. On another note. i just punched up my bike on a used bike price guide (give or take a year i think i have it about right) and it still says it is valued at near 700 bucks. shocked the living chit out of me.
I'll give you $50 bucks for it
delivered ... :)

Electra Glide Ultra Low. Is there anything else???
71baldboy.gif

FYI- astroNikon used to ride professionally. Any one of his bikes are worth more than my house. I just had my old Medici racing bike restored. It is a handmade bike from the '70's. When I cruise I ride an Electra.

There are plenty of bikes have been stolen each year in my area. Totally not worth for me to spend that kind of money. Although, it is tempting to max out my credit card.

There are plenty of bikes have been stolen each year in my area. Totally not worth for me to spend that kind of money. Although, it is tempting to max out my credit card.
don't look at me. I didn't take them i don't even live near you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back