D200 richer more vibrant colors then 30d

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by photogincollege, Aug 10, 2007.

1. photogincollege

photogincollege TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ok i was reading that the d200 has richer and more vibrant colors then the 30d. I was wondering if anyone has expirimented with this and true or not? Cause i like the way the 30d feels but picture quality is very very important to me.

2. Stretch Armstrong

Stretch Armstrong TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Did Sony write that review?

3. photogincollege

Photos OK to edit
    sony doesnt make either camera, where did they come in? lol It was in digital camera's slr guide.

4. JDP

JDP TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Sony makes the sensor inside the Nikon.

I know the lower end Nikon DSLRs tend to be more vibrant out of the box then their Canon counter-parts, but that's just because the default settings pump up the saturation some - perhaps it's the same with the D200 vs 30D

5. txshutterbug

txshutterbug TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think that Nikons in general create a more saturated image... sometimes it's too saturated for my taste. I'm a Canon fan!

6. ScottS

ScottS TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Both DSLR's have about the same "out of camera" saturation levels. But even a simple image editor will fix that up. And just for future reference, its not the chip that decides how saturated the image is, its the in camera processing. :D The thing about the D200 is that it does have an option to make the image more or less saturated when Shooting in JPG

7. Tom_Tom

Tom_Tom TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It is my experience that Nikon Images have better saturation but more noise. The canon images are bit under-saturated in my opinion, but the lack of noise makes up for it. I believe that Olympus produces superior colour to both Canon and Nikon,but hey I know its not a very poular format.

8. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The color output doesn't matter, you'll be adjusting it on your computer anyway.

9. photogincollege

Photos OK to edit
    So then the impression i get then is the slightly more saturated and vibrant colors dont matter much, they'll be fixed on the computer if nessecary, does anyone know if either one takes sharper clearer pictures?

10. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Colours are not "fixed" on the computer. The way colours come out in a JPG or in a RAW preview depends on how the RAW data from the sensor is translated into colour information. There are many ways to do this giving many different results, depending on the software and its settings.
    If you "develop" your RAW images yourself, you have total control and do not depend on companies' presets in that respect.

Regarding the sharpness of bayer-pattern sensors (and I believe both Sony/Nikon and Canon use that type), there are two aspects:

1. the de-mosaicing algorithm and the sharpening strength. For the de-mosaicing, it again depends on how your RAW data is translated into a viewable image, and the sharpening is something you do in software later anyway.

2. if things in 1. are done properly, most of today's sensors are way better resolving than the lenses attached to the camera. So if you see a difference in image sharpness / resolution and the processing of the image was similar, then in almost all cases the difference is due to the lens and /or focusing.

So the important thing is: get the right lenses!

11. lostprophet

lostprophet No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Someone with my way of thinking
    Just shoot in RAW and adjust as needed

12. BAB

BAB TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I never have done a side by side comparison but it is certainly plausible that what you have read is true. That being said it does not matter much because hopefully you will do some post shooting editing, where any color or saturation issues can be easily corrected. So don't let that stand in the way of buying that camera that feels best to you and that you like. In reality, both cameras are very capable cameras, that should produce outstanding results.