D200 vs. D80

Greatwhite

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey Gang,

I am a film guy, but moved to digital last year....reluctantly, but do like the promise of digital.....anyway.....

I am debating between the D80 and D200 Nikons.....

I am not sure the 'bells and whistles' of the D200 are worth the extra $$, but the magnesium body and durability appeal to me!

Any thoughts, or expieriences w/both?

THX

Garrett
Phoenix, AZ

I've heard great things about both, but if you have the cash, I'd shoot for a D200. Even if the 'bells & whistles' don't appeal to you right this instant, they probably will as you get more comfortable with the digital format.

However, if cash is an issue, the D80 is a hell of a camera from all the accounts I've heard.

If you can comfortably afford either, I would absolutely say the D200 is worth the extra money.

But as usual, I wouldn't advise investing all your money in a body if it leaves you with no money for glass (or flash, or whatever else you may need)... however you said you moved to digital from film; does this mean you have Nikon lenses already?

Yeah, I am thinking the D200...but still on the fence....

I have a Nikon D50 I bought in Sept '06, and need/want more pixels....

I have only two Nikkor DX lens'....the rest of my lens are Canon, non-autofocus (which I prefer)....

I have the D80, I bought it last year for my first DSLR. I used to shoot film in highschool with a simple mamiya. Although I learned a bunch with the D80, I now wish I would have gone with the D200. But I don't regret getting the D80 at all. Some of the features I like about the D200 that the D80 doesnt have would be the weatherproof magnesium body, feels a bit better in my large hands (though they have grips for both cameras), and the autofocusing system on the D200 trumps the D80's, great for moving objects. The controls on camera are more pro oriented...no flower mode there, iso reading in viewfinder, can bracket 5 picture burst instead of just 3, D200 used compact flash instead of the SD that the d80 uses, not a big deal but I prefer the larger cards, and compact flash can have a 40mb/sec transfer rate.

Newegg has the D200 Kit with the 18-135 lens for 1699, kinda makes me sick to think I paid 1400 at my local shop for the D80 with the same lens. (w/ tax), but that was a year ago. On the plus side BhPhoto is selling this kit for $1100:

Nikon D80, 10.2 Megapixel, SLR Digital Camera with Nikon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens and Two SanDisk 2GB Ultra II Secure Digital (SD) Cards

Either way you can't go wrong, if you shoot professionally or will soon, or shoot a lot of moving objects I would go with the D200

Also just thought of something, there's a lot of anticipation on a D200S or D300 coming out real soon. They say every 18mo. Nikon usually refreshes the body and every few years replaces it....just some food for thought.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back