D3 first impressions

It looks like the blacks come out pretty noisy, but other than that it seems awesome.

What were the settings like on those two outdoor shots?

quite noisy in the dark parts at ISO 6400 ... unusable for me, but might be of value for some.

I guess the real strength is that probably ISO 800 is almost noise free and usable?

With my 5D the maximum at the moment would be ISO 400 if I want to use the images high-res.

quite noisy in the dark parts at ISO 6400 ... unusable for me, but might be of value for some.
On newsprint, nobody would be able to tell, and it doesn't look like there's any NR in camera being used either, so it can only get better.

On newsprint, nobody would be able to tell, and it doesn't look like there's any NR in camera being used either, so it can only get better.

As I said, it will be valuable for some! I only said that it is of no use for me personally :)

To heck with the noise, those are some nice shots, period!

To heck with the noise, those are some nice shots, period!

Errm, wait, but this thread is about the camera ... and that image was to demonstrate its high ISO performance.

so it is all about the noise, nothing else :mrgreen:

I think we can all agree that for ISO 6400, that is pretty great performance. Just imagine it at ISO 3200 and how awesome that'd look, probably almost noise-free. And at ISO 1600, which is pretty dang high, it'd certainly be top-notch. And don't forget the full-frame sensor, thank you Nikon. Please make D400 full-frame...

These shots are by no means a real test of the cameras performance. I am still learning the menu system and it's other features. This camera seems to shoot a more pleasing image at 6400 than the D1X did at 500 or 640. By pleasing I mean overall IQ, not just noise. Color and saturation have more eye appeal, and sharpness seems more natural before and PP. As I use it, I'll post more and let you be the judge.

so, are you liking that wide angles are ACTUALLY wide now?

I bet that's pretty useful for like, architectural and landscape work. Damn, I'm jealous! I hope Nikon releases the D400 as full frame in two to three years when I've got to upgrade. Of course, maybe by then, I'll be totally rich enough to get a D4 or D3X. Probably not though.

Enjoy the amazing camera JSteudle! And by the way, those concert shots at ISO3200, were basically free of all noise. Amazing.

Most reactions

Back