D300 Battery Grip Advice

Lyncca

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lynccaharveyphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, so after looking around, the battery grips run from $55 - $300+. Can someone tell me how much difference there is between them and if the most expensive is worth it or would somewhere in the middle work just fine? It isn't glass, so if it isn't going to slow me down, or make my camera explode, I'm not sure I see spending the additional money just so it says Nikon on it.

Advise please!

I have had 3 battery grips from ebay (on different camears) and i love them. i got the one from gadget infinity for my d700. it has the exact finish and feel that i would expect from the nikon, only way, way less expensive.

you can go through 3 of them (hopefully you won't) before you start to touch on the price of the nikon grip. I know that is a flawed way to look at it, but considering that i, nor any of my friends, have had any problems with them, it makes sense. right?

i say go for the cheap one, but it's your wallet.

Whilst im aware this does not anwser your question. I always think the best battery grip is annother battery in your pocket. D300 weighs enough anyway.

I personally love my battery grip (on my Canon 40D) I don't really need the extra time the battery gives me (though that is nice), but what I love about it is the buttons on it for taking pictures in portrait orientation. It's great to be able to hold the camera the same way (which is much more stable) than putting one hand on tome and the other at the bottom.

Beyond that, I got mine from Adorama for maybe 60-70 bucks. I figure it's not something that directly affects image quality, so what's the point in spending 200 for the Canon brand one (or Nikon in your case).

I personally love my battery grip (on my Canon 40D) I don't really need the extra time the battery gives me (though that is nice), but what I love about it is the buttons on it for taking pictures in portrait orientation. It's great to be able to hold the camera the same way (which is much more stable) than putting one hand on tome and the other at the bottom.

Beyond that, I got mine from Adorama for maybe 60-70 bucks. I figure it's not something that directly affects image quality, so what's the point in spending 200 for the Canon brand one (or Nikon in your case).

Yea, I'm not looking at it so much for the extra battery (although I don't mind), but instead the portrait orientation. A lot of times chasing kids or dogs and getting their attention takes one hand, making the camera itself a little harder to hold with the other hand when I am holding it portrait. For $50-$100, I don't mind the inventment. For $300, well, that's why I still don't have one after 2 yrs!

well, the one difficulty there is that there will be more weight on the camera itself. That being said, I do find my camera easier to hold one handed with the grip in portrait mode, than one handed without. but that's just my opinion and YMMV

Don't forget camera warranty considerations. With the D300 there may also be a difference in FPS performance.

On the other end is resale value.

It is a tough choice. For sure, it will not affect the photos, but not sure if it will affect the camera since I do not know how well it is made. ( especially inside the grip and the quality of the plastic)

Take a look at this link. Scroll down to the bottom of the page. You will see 2 photos of a broken grip. I know, the one listed in the link is not for Nikon, but I believe it reflects the quality of the grip made by this manufacturer.

Yep, the old "You get what you pay for" story.

Yes, imagine the gripped camera is on a tripod mounted with a $2000 telephoto lens and the grip snaps into two pieces. :confused:

Yep, the old "You get what you pay for" story.

Yes, imagine the gripped camera is on a tripod mounted with a $2000 telephoto lens and the grip snaps into two pieces. :confused:

That situation would be user error. The photographer should be using the mount on the tripod collar with such a lens instead of the mount in the body/grip of the camera.

For $50, buying one of these Targus grips like the ones sold through Adorama.com makes total sense. Just having the vertical shutter release will make shooting vertically composed photos easier, with better hand and arm position. It will also make it easier to handle the camera with a large lens added to it.

I have grips for cameras that offer grips, and I like the added mass and weight that a grip and an extra battery brings, especially when using a front-heavy lens like 70-200 or 100-300/4 or 300/4 on what is called a half-height camera, like D300.

As far as getting your return on the grip when selling it, I think you ought to be able to get the $50 you payed when you sell the camera. Considering the cost of the original Nikon grip vs the $49 Targus grip, you could buy several Targus models,and if one conks out, toss it out and slap on a replacement.

I can't comment about the off brand grips, but I do use the Nikon one and it works well and is very solid.

One person mention you could get several off brand for the price of one nikon, but I would rather have one that I never worry about. It would be bad to be in the middle of a shoot and have your grip break.

I for one would not worry about a grip breaking, because I have never heard of a battery grip conking out on someone. That situation, if it exists is so rare that I wouldn't worry about it in the least.

I say, if you're going to spend money, save it on the grip and spend extra on lenses.

I for one would not worry about a grip breaking, because I have never heard of a battery grip conking out on someone. That situation, if it exists is so rare that I wouldn't worry about it in the least.

I say, if you're going to spend money, save it on the grip and spend extra on lenses.

Thanks Nate. Seems more people are leaning toward going a little cheaper on this item.

Most reactions

Back