D300 or D90

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by Spectral, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Spectral

Spectral TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So currently I'm shooting with a Nikon D40. I've had it for just over a year now but I have been starting to come to the conclusion its just not enough camera for me.

I want to do more indoor shooting without a flash and the ISO on the D40 and the noise aren't working real well for me. I just came back from a family function yesterday and a quite a few photos just were not usable because the noise was too much and I do not have any noise reduction software.

Onto the D90 and D300 though. I am debating what camera is worth it for me to get. The D90's HD Video is cool but I'm not sure how often I would use it though. I have been researching the 2 cameras and a lot of things I have read have compared the 2 and I'm just not sure if I want to spend that much more to get the D300 over the D90.

Any thing you guys can lend to help me decide? I won't be making the purchase until after the New Years.

2. fightin14

fightin14 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    From what I have heard, get the d90 and save some money.

3. Spectral

Spectral TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That's what I'm thinking.
    I'm hoping someone can give more specifics. I know the D300 has a weather proofed body but I don't know what kind of advantage that gives me. I also know that the D90 has a better Dynamic Range than the D300 and if that is more advantageous for my needs.

4. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The D300 is much more robust. Look at the material each chassis is made of.

Weathersealed.

51 point AF system.

6 fps out of the box. 8 fps when gripped.

You get THREE numbers stamped on the body. The only thing better is to have only ONE number. :lol:

TBH, I really haven't researched the D90. The video IMO is not worth it yet. It's a cool feature, but it heats up the sensor quickly and is good for only short bursts.

I can vouch that the D300 is miles ahead of the D80. Budget constraints would be the only reason to not get the D300 IMO.

5. Spectral

Spectral TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The D90 is a how many point AF system? and the D90 is 4.5 correct?
    And budget is a semi issue but if the D300 is a better camera I can wait. I want whats best for me.

6. andrew99

andrew99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I recently went through the same process. I chose the D300 because:
    Better build quality, larger, heavier, pro-feeling camera.
    Much better autofocus (51 point with 3D tracking vs 11 point), and auto-focus fine tuning on a per lens basis
    Automatic CA correction
    Reportedly better metering
    Faster frame rate (6 vs 4.5 - 8fps with the battery grip)
    The D300 has a lot more switches and controls on the body
    Lots of little things like more flexable bracketing options, more menu options, etc.
    And I already have a Sony Handycam! :)

If you want a smaller, lighter camera and making short video clips are important, and you use scene modes, then the D90 is a good choice, but if you want more of a pro camera, the D300 is the way to go.