D3000

AngleRain

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I just bought a Nikon D3000 with a Nikkor 18-55mm lens ;D
And im having trouble taking family shots and Christmas photos inside /:
Can you give me a rundown of the settings I should have and what modes?

I know your gona say get better gear, but I just spent 700$ ;) Im not looking to spend any more.... For now anyways...

A: Bump up the ISO
B: Use flash
C: Open up the aperture

I usually shoot in 'A' mode, or Aperture Priority and set it wide open when indoors, for you that would be f/3.5 I believe. If the D3000 has Auto ISO (I believe it does), turn it on and set the max ISO to 800 - see how that goes.

Also, when using the flash you could try using a white business card (or similar) to bounce the flash a little - the end result is much more pleasing than direct light.

Or, buy something like the Gary Fong Puffer for $20.

But I read that keeping it at a low ISO keeps the image sharper....
And what shutter speed?

We are not going to say get better gear. Use these settings Manual (M), Aperture Priority mode (A), Shutter Priority mode (S), and Programmed auto (P)

Thats all you need, forget the preset modes, if you want preset go back to point and shoot.

For indoors I agree with PhotoX, do exactly what he says. :lol:

As for your camera,

1. Read the manual, Once isnt good enough read it over!
2. Watch this, It may be long and 2 years old but it helped me a bunch when I got my D90! He goes through pretty much every type of shooting and what settings to use for it.
3. Read online guides learn about your camera use trial and error and your good to go.

Good Luck.

But I read that keeping it at a low ISO keeps the image sharper....
And what shutter speed?

While that is true, you can't always shoot with optimal settings...

Shutter speed should be at LEAST 1/120th but preferably 1/500th to stop motion. In order to get that with poor lighting you have to add light somehow.

To add light you can increase the ISO, use a flash, or use a slower shutter speed.

You'll have to put up with either motion blur or noise... it's just the nature of the beast, and of the two - noise is MUCH easier to clean up in post processing.

Try setting your camera to "A" and set your aperture to f/3.5 and your ISO to 800... take note of what the shutter speed is and post it here.

Last edited:
Well.
What ISO?
What Flash Setting?
What shutter speed?
What quality?

That kind of stuff /:

BTW, I dont use anything other than M,P,A, and S ;)

Unless we're sitting in the room with you there's really no way to tell you that... there's no such thing as a magic 'Indoors Setting' that makes everything OK.

PhotoXopher said:
Try setting your camera to "A" and set your aperture to f/3.5 and your ISO to 800... take note of what the shutter speed is and post it here.

Do that and we'll see what happens.

Speaking of posting... why not post one of the photos so we can see what's going on?

Last edited:
It wont let me adjust the aperture less than 5 /:

Last edited:
If you're in aperture priority you turn the rear dial, if you're in manual mode you hold down the +/- button on top (has an aperture logo next to it) and then turn the dial.

You really need to read your manual.

Everything is good except for the fact it wont let me go lower than f5 and I need an insane amount of light to get a half-decent shot. Everytime I try to take a picture, it turns out black -.- But I dont want to use the flash... becasue it makes everything look horrible...

Everything is good except for the fact it wont let me go lower than f5 and I need an insane amount of light to get a half-decent shot. Everytime I try to take a picture, it turns out black -.- But I dont want to use the flash... becasue it makes everything look horrible...

Bro, use a tripod then you won't need as fast a shutter speed. And, it's not letting you go lower than f/5 because that's the max aperture of your lens at that focal lenght.

But, there must be some way to get good, sharp photos without having to use a tripod /:

BTW, should I use Rear Sync or what?

I have my ISO at 800
My shutter speed at 1/5000
My Aperture at f/5
My Flash mode at Rear Sync
My Image Quality at JPG Fine
And my Image size at Large

1/5000???? Ye Gods... WAY too fast. Especially indoors without a flash. Even 1/500 is probably too fast. Do you know how to use the light meter? Set your ISO and aperture then press the shutter halfway down, then adjust the dial until the meter in the viewfinder centers. That is the correct shutter speed for that shot... it'll probably be between 1/60 and 1/125.

Most reactions

Back