D300s or 7D ???

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Rich F, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Rich F

Rich F TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok everyone,

I've finally decided to go ahead and pull the trigger. My two year old son did me a biggie on my tax return and I'm finally going to get a DSLR.

I want you to tell me which you think is the better camera and why. The Nikon D300s or Canon's EOS 7D.

I will be shooting pictures of my son for years to come, some local bands with a 50/1.4, and who knows what else.

I've been reading a lot of Nikon info over the past year or so and have always though that that's the way I would go when I finally could afford to. But it seems like Canon has just as good a product in the 7D.

I look forward to your thoughts....

2. TJ K

TJ K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not one of these again........

Hold them pick what feels good..

Easy as that

3. Sachphotography

Sachphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON

4. TJ K

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I say go leica

5. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

This is actually very good advice. A lot is the feeling of the camera in your hand. I can give lots of reasons I love my 7D, but there are those who love their Nikons as well (although I can't imagine why).

6. Live_free

Live_free TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  7. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    D300s or 7D ???

Yes.

8. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    The above link, the letmegooglethatforyou link had a bunch of 7D vs D300s comparisons, so I clicked on just ONE, about six links down, just to see what the geeky fellows at Gizmodo.com would say....

I thought it was interesting how they compared and described the new Canon 7D in their review Canon 7D Review - Canon EOS 7D - Gizmodo
    "What makes it my favorite Canon so far is actually everything that's completely new to Canon—DP Review has a nice summary here, in pictures. But in short, while this might sound weird, it shoots more like a Nikon than any Canon DSLR I've used. This is primarily because of the new 19-point autofocus system and the color metering system that goes with it. You're able to select AF zones—clusters of AF points—while in the past with Canon you've been limited to a full AF blast or picking out a single point."

and "it uses a new polymer LCD network for the graphical overlay to display AF points, grids and other displays, so it's more flexible and feels more fluid. (It also just looks s****ier, and again, more Nikon-like.)"

This is Canon's FIRST-EVER camera with color-aware light metering and color-aware focusing: Nikon has had those features for multiple generations of cameras. The 7D's light metering has some quirks, but then again, as Gizmodo points out what makes the 7D nice is "everything that's completely new to Canon". Color-aware metring, color-aware AF system, a decent selectable mutli-point AF system, first Canon with a built-in remote wireless flash commander. As they put it, they like it because it is "NIKON-LIKE". Canon has finally managed to catch up to Nikon's technologies and put a bunch of them in to their new 7D body.

Does that tell you anything???? They like the 7D because it works more like a Nikon, and has features that are all new to Canon?;)

9. pharmakon

pharmakon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well i'm typically a Canon guy myself, but I would have to say the Nikon.

Why? Because you would then be able to use NIKKOR lenses, and NIKKOR spelled backwards is ROKKIN' (with the added apostrophe of course). So go git yerself some rokkin' E.D. glass!

...ok back to the regularly scheduled serious debate stuff...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  10. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

Do you like to use Canon lens or Nikon lens?

11. TJ K

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Fixed :lmao:

12. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Hummmm.....If so, then why over the years, has it not mattered a whit if I was using a Minolta, Hasselbald, Canon, Nikon, Yasica, or any of several different brands or camera configurations, like a TLR instead of a SLR, with motor winder and bulk film back or without?

All that truely matters is image quality first, and features second. What feels good is about #12 down on the list. I don't recall ever getting to #12 when choosing a camera. By the time I get to #4 it's usually a done deal.

Something about humans having an opposed thumb, manual dexterity, and an ability to adapt to varying ergonomics.

In regard to image quality (and no other criteria), the D300s has a slight edge, primarily because it has a bit more color depth and dynamic range than the 7D. Compare cameras

For many the real issue, as far as brand, is the lens lineup a camera maker offers.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010