D300s or 7D ???

What's your overall budget? If you're spending most of it on one of those cameras, rethink - spend about 2/3 of it on a couple of good lenses, and 1/3 on the body.

In today's camera market, the ergonomics of the camera body itself are the largest differentiating factor. Nikon and Canon have *very* different control systems for the most commonly-used controls over lens f/stop, shutter speed, and the assigning of the AF point. At the D300s and 7D levels, which is variously defined as the low-end pro/pro-back-up/high-end prosumer model/or semi-pro body class (whew!), the MAIN differentiation is the way the camera's user interface is designed, thought out, and actually built.

As far as KmH's assertion that the image quality is the #1 criteria, I disagree with that statement: to me, the camera's ergonomics and its control systems are the MAIN points of interface between me,and the camera. The image quality nowadays is more than comparable between cameras within the same class; I have Nikon and Canon bodies and lenses and flashes. TO me, one of the systems has a much better, more control-driven interface,with a better system,especially as far as adjusting shutter speed and aperture and selecting the focusing point in use, and the AF modes, as well as the AF-On and AE-Lock button system.

Some people prefer Canon's menu-driven and dual-purpose controls. Other people prefer Nikon's body controls and ethos. The two systems are actually quite different,and the cameras actually "handle" and "work" very differently in actual, real-world, day-to-day situations. This is based upon very different corporate design philosophies that go back to the mid-1980's,and which have not changed very much. Many users prefer one company's handling and operation over the other company's approach. The image quality is,to me, more than adequate for almost any use, whether it;'s a new Canon or a new Nikon.

I agree the most important thing really is ergonomics. Next up would be cost of ownership, support and upgrade paths should you decide to go from say 1.6 to full frame. IQ between competing Canon and Nikon bodies is pretty much the same.

Opinions vary wildly on the topic of ergonomics.

Some claim that Canon has usability issues because they have fewer buttons and assign multi-functions to them. I personally prefer this method as it gives me easy access with my right index finger to all primary functions that would otherwise require two hands to access. I've heard a complaint that it's confusing that Canon's wheel functions change depending on what mode you're in. Actually, it's quite logical assuming you can remember what mode you're in.

If you're in Aperture Priority mode, the index finger wheel adjusts your aperture value. It's logical because most of us use our index finger to change the key function. It's instinctive for me. If you switch to Shutter Priority mode, the index finger wheel now makes adjustments to your shutter speed. Again, perfectly logical and fast.

If you want to change your ISO speed, you tap the ISO button with your right index finger (button is conveniently located next to the index finger scroll wheel) then while looking through the view finder you use the index scroll wheel to adjust your ISO speed. You don't need to access the control knob on the left side of the body, or reach across to change the ISO speed. To me, it's fast and logical.

As for AF point selection, you use your thumb and move the joy stick in the direction you want to move your active AF point. Quick, simple and you have an instant visual cue in your view finder. Nothing could be easier or more convenient.

It really boils down to what you get used to. If you started on Nikon you're going to prefer the Nikon method. If you started on Canon, you're going to prefer the Canon method.

As for support, with Canon you can join the CPS (Canon Professional Services) program (my first year was free) which gives you priority access to their professional customer service department. If you're a CPS member, you get put in front of the line. If you make a living with your camera, CPS can be a life saver. Nikon's professional services group is harder to access and people often complain that if you're not a big time sports photog you don't get priority service. I have not had any dealings with Nikons professional services team, so this is hearsay obviously and based on discussions I've read elsewhere.

Personally, I would go play with them side by side. Check out the prices for things like flashes and lenses. See which one appeals to you more. IQ wise, you're not going to notice much of a difference at all between them. They're both industry leading camera makers.

Oh, the this or that post...

Umm, my two cents.. and it really means NOTHING.. Canon = ) I think I will LOVE mine once I know how to use it.:sexywink:

Oh, the this or that post...

Umm, my two cents.. and it really means NOTHING.. Canon = ) I think I will LOVE mine once I know how to use it.:sexywink:

See, this is just more proof to get the D300s...I loved my Nikon D90 before I even touched it!

I always preach to look at the whole system and lens line up. See what appeals to you more. You looking at certain prime lenses? Certain zooms? Supertelephotos? Pro quality f/4 glass? Excellent super wide-angle zooms? Both systems are great overall, but where one side lags, the other excels and vise-versa.

Wow.. Thanks for the replies. Sorry if I started a "brand" debate. Just looking for members' opinions of the two camera models.

I did get to try each one out and see how they handled. I liked the feel and menu set-up of the D300s. The extra fps of the 7d is nice (I guess) but if you can't get a shot in 7 tries, you ain't gonna get it in 8. I also like the dual card slots on the Nikon.

The Nikon just felt really good in my hands, with an 18-200 on it it was nice and balanced. The Canon, which had a 28-135 mouned to it felt like it wanted to nose dive out of my hand.

After trying them out and reading numerous reviews and comparisons, I have decided that I'm going to become a 'Nikonian'

Welcome to the Dark Side. bwuhahahahahaha

Most reactions

New Topics

Back