D3100 and long exposures

Spectreal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I enjoy taking pictures after dark and using long exposures so I am curious if the 3100 is capable of taking shots with exposures greater than 30 seconds. I see where I can set it up to 30 in S priority mode but haven't found any way beyond that. I kinda miss my old film SLRs with the cable connected where I could click it open and leave the shutter open for minutes or hours. Will any of the current electronic remote triggers allow for this?

Even in manual mode the camera is using the shutter and aperture settings from the A and S modes.

In Manual mode, you should be able to set the shutter speed to "Bulb," which is the same premise as your film memories.

Go into bulb mode and the shot will be exposed as long as you hold the shutter button. You can go into bulb mode by turning the wheel to the left after you reach the 30 second exposure settings. Also, it's better if you use a wired shutter release with lock or even a timer capable shutter release cable to avoid camera shake.

PS There are also wireless shutter release remotes also.

Last edited:
Aha, there it is. Thanks gents. I'm still learning where all the setting are in this new camera as it's my first DLSR after using nothing but p&s cameras for over a decade. I did use film slr cameras for over 20 years so hopefully it's not too much harder than riding a bicycle.

Can someone recommend a good remote release that is timer capable? I've seen some units that have remote flash shoes on them as well so am still searching for the remote i want.

Nikon has a cheap wireless shutter release for about 16-20 bucks. Google to see which model you need :)

I think it's the Nikon MC-DC2

Sorry. That's a wired one. I don't think the D3100 is compatible with a wireless remote. The manual only lists the mc dc2.

There are many many aftermarket wireless remotes that use the wired shutter release jack

they make knockoff remotes for under $10 that work well

Aha, there it is. Thanks gents. I'm still learning where all the setting are in this new camera as it's my first DLSR....
Reading through the user's manual several times helps flatten the learning curve. Keeping it handy for quick reference when you are out making photos is also recommended.

Your camera did not come with a hardcopy of the user's manual. Instead, the complete user's manual is a file on the software disc.

Aha, there it is. Thanks gents. I'm still learning where all the setting are in this new camera as it's my first DLSR after using nothing but p&s cameras for over a decade. I did use film slr cameras for over 20 years so hopefully it's not too much harder than riding a bicycle.

Can someone recommend a good remote release that is timer capable? I've seen some units that have remote flash shoes on them as well so am still searching for the remote i want.

Amazon.com: d3100 wireless shutter release

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Sorry. That's a wired one. I don't think the D3100 is compatible with a wireless remote. The manual only lists the mc dc2.

The D3100 does not have an IR port which is surprising as the D3000 and D3200 both have one.

Most reactions

Back