D3100 original battery grip, NOT?

spark123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to equip a battery grip for my Nikon D3100, one for shoot more pictures, another adding a grip can make it bigger, I can make vertical shooting. Seems it has no official Nikon battery grip, I want to purchase a third-party product, how about this one (APUTURE) Camera Battery Grip BP-D3100 for Nikon D3100 VBR-102277 - TinyDeal, I see id is a brand called aputure, google has many information about it. I also feel it is better than other unofficial battery grip. Does any D3100 owners once bought one? Please tell me, thanks in advance.

This is a rebranded Neewer/Meike grip which costs $10 less.

It's not the Meike, looks a lot better, actually. Both those grips lack camera control for this model. I have no idea who manufactures thus one, perhaps Meike has released a new model recently?

these 3rd part grips are usually pretty good. They are generally plasticky and creaky, but get the job done just fine. I wouldn't call the one on my a350 'professional grade' but nothing about it would preclude a professional from using it, and I'm sure many do. Note that they are decisively NOT weatherproof, but I doubt your d3100 is either.

Last edited:
No, I am sure its brand name is Aputure, not any name else. Seems from China.

It's not the Meike, looks a lot better, actually. Both those grips lack camera control for this model. I have no idea who manufactures thus one, perhaps Meike has released a new model recently?

these 3rd part grips are usually pretty good. They are generally plasticky and creaky, but get the job done just fine. I wouldn't call the one on my a350 'professional grade' but nothing about it would preclude a professional from using it, and I'm sure many do. Note that they are decisively NOT weatherproof, but I doubt your d3100 is either.
That is Aputure, which is brand name, I don't know what is Meike.
You guess right, D3100 NOT weatherproof, hope this works well. This can not preclude a professional from using it, right!:thumbup:

No, I am sure its brand name is Aputure, not any name else. Seems from China.

No. Weird stuff happens with these products, it very well may have been manufactured by Meike or anyone else for that matter. Flashpoints are rebranded Chinese flashes, many of them are actually Mettles with "Flashpoint" stamped on the side. Mettle's are good flashes, that's why Adorama used them, but "Flashpoint" is just a brand. This may have been manufactured by Apurture, may have been manufactured by Meike, may have been manufactured by Neewer, it may have been manufactured by Xu Cho Camera Grips and Adult Novelties. These Chinese brands often are two steps removed from the original manufacturer. Usually Meike Grips are decent quality, but their d3100 grip I'm seeing doesn't look like this one, and the switch doesn't look like the one on my a350.

Honestly, this looks like a really decent grip, with the price in mind, with good button placement and ergonomics - maybe a little wide. It's not going to do any harm, I don't think - i've never heard of anything bad happening, though you may want to look around. It's cheap, so if it turns out to be junk, you're only out thirty bucks. It's going to be cheap and plasticky, just like your d3100.

Upon second look, it is different from the Meike/Neewer brand. It is cheaper in Amazon though.

http://www.amazon.com/Aputure-Batte...d=1351301289&sr=8-1&keywords=aputure+bp-d3100

For the price quoted by the OP, one can get this model with a remote which I have.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Nikon...TF8&qid=1351301597&sr=1-4&keywords=d3100+grip

These grips function all the same with a cable attachment. Though I find the one with a remote handy. Do note that the cable is quite fragile and can easily break. I broke mine and got a spare cable from eBay.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
No third party after market battery grip for the D3100 controls any camera functions, without the cable that attaches to the side of the camera body from/to the grip. Reason being
there are no electrical contacts on the bottom of the D3100 to relay the commands I had a Meike battery grip I got off of Amazon for less than US $30. It fit and worked great.see it here ...

Amazon.com: Meike Vertical Battery Grip for Nikon D3100 EN-EL14: Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Grips are the only after-market item I've bought in photography, I've been through many and have yet to have anything but positive experiences
bigthumb.gif

Before I sold my camera I bought a camera grip for my D3000 off ebay... I was iffy about it because it was "off-brand"... but it works fantastic...only paid like $20 for it..and it came with an extra battery that lasts about 2/3 as long as my original nikon battery.

The battery grip didn't affect picture quality or anything like that as far as I can tell.

The battery grip didn't affect picture quality or anything like that as far as I can tell.

In reality it probably did have an effect on some of your images - it likely increased your 'keeper rate' in portrait orientation. The biggest benefit of a 'grip' is the second shutter release because you don't have to hold your camera with the 'right elbow up in the air' stance. Keeping your right elbow down and your other arm braced against your torso is a much more stable way to hold your camera.

Most reactions

Back