D3200 - charging - USB port?

Melissa2012B

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Nothing in the manuals about this. Can this camera charge the battery via the USB port? It would be easier than having to remove the battery.

I can't for the life of me understand why all electronic cameras can't do this, but many can't.

Nope, just pull the battery. They do this so you can pop in another one when that one dies. Its not like its hard to do.

Even better would be batteries that never have to be recharged (nuclear?). :er:
Or solar, or maybe a crank.

The manual doesn't mention charging by the USB cable because the camera can't do it. I think it's going to be mostly just point & shoots that can do that.

Get some spare batteries if you don't have them already so that when they need charged, you have some fresh ones to put in while you wait.

Nope, just pull the battery. They do this so you can pop in another one when that one dies. Its not like its hard to do.

I'm not saying that the battery shouldn't be removable, only that it should also be chargeable via the USB port.

I'm not saying that the battery shouldn't be removable, only that it should also be chargeable via the USB port.

I disagree.. because then they would have to add a charging circuit to the camera, with the increased heat output, as well as larger body size, and added expense. And since you cannot use your camera when it is tethered to a USB port... not many people would use it anyway. Multiple batteries is a much better option since they can charge faster in a charger without overheating issues.

And since you cannot use your camera when it is tethered to a USB port...
This is the only part I disagree with.

I don't really shoot much digital anymore, but when I did - I shot tethered to a USB port A LOT.

And since you cannot use your camera when it is tethered to a USB port...
This is the only part I disagree with.

I don't really shoot much digital anymore, but when I did - I shot tethered to a USB port A LOT.

Understood! But you are probably a rarity. I could see that being used a bit in a studio.. but most users shoot while mobile, and unattached. I should have phrased that differently.. as in " Since most users do not use their cameras while tethered to a computer...."

Agreed - It is possible, but really only useful in a studio type environment. Having the photos show up on your computer monitor as you shoot is very helpful sometimes.

Agreed - It is possible, but really only useful in a studio type environment. Having the photos show up on your computer monitor as you shoot is very helpful sometimes.

I agree.. .I shoot that way often when stacking, sometimes even for macro if I am at home. Have thought about tethering in the field on a laptop.. but haven't tried it yet. But that has nothing to do with the OP's post... so I will leave this at that! :)

I have a video camera that charges with the USB port. It has a little flip out USB plug (looks just like a memory stick). I'm always afraid it's going to snap off and it's honestly a pain in the butt to charge it that way. I rarely ever plug my DSLR into the computer - And I don't think I'd want to charge it that way even if it could. With my luck my daughter would grab the camera and take the computer with her. ;)

Wish my Vagabond would charge from a USB too, and my flashlight too
bigthumb.gif

Your flashlight has a USB port?

:lol:

I actually don't like charging stuff with the USB cable... Seems ineffecient to me, and in some cases it has actually damaged the device.

Your flashlight has a USB port?

:lol:

I actually don't like charging stuff with the USB cable... Seems ineffecient to me, and in some cases it has actually damaged the device.

Yep.. have seen some older computer systems fry from too much demand on the USB ports.

Most reactions

Back