d3200 doesn't read SDcard

bighatphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My grandfather passed away 2years ago, and he was the family photographer. When he passed away, I was given the honor to be the family photographer along with permission to use his nikon d3200.
This camera has a lot of sentimental value.

the last couple of months it has had a difficult time recognizing there is a SDcard installed, and recently it started not seeing most SDcards. and if it does see its there, it says its damaged. Is there a reason for this other then the sd slot is damaged, and if the sd slot is damaged can it be replaced/fixed? and how much would it cost roughly?

Have the SD cards been reformated in the camera?
See page 19 of the D3200 Reference Manual. The Reference Manual is a PDF file on the software disc that came with the D3200. Or. You can download the D3200 manual here.

Yes the SD card slot can be replaced but I have no idea how much it would cost.
But if you put the camera's serial number in here at NikonUSA.com you might be able to get an estimate.

Have the SD cards been reformated in the camera?
See page 19 of the D3200 Reference Manual. The Reference Manual is a PDF file on the software disc that came with the D3200. Or. You can download the D3200 manual here.

Yes the SD card slot can be replaced but I have no idea how much it would cost.
But if you put the camera's serial number in here at NikonUSA.com you might be able to get an estimate.
No, because it either doesn't see them AT ALL, or it says the card is defective. Is there a way to bypass the defective error in order to reformat the card?

Have you tried it with a new SD card as memory cards do get damaged and do wear out. If the error still shows up with a new card its time to contact Nikon to get the camera repaired.

Since the problem is manifest with multiple cards pretty much indicates the camera is the problem, needs to be repaired, and there is no workaround.
If the cost to repair is close to the replacement cost just get a used (about $275) or refurbished (about $300) D3200, or upgrade .
Nikon D3200 24.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Zoom Lens

Did you use Nikon's service page and enter the camera serial number to see how much a repair might be?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Reset the camera to ALL factory defaults, to eliminate a number of possible points of error.Restoring Default Settings to Your Nikon D3200 - For Dummies

Try some small SD cards, like 4 gig ones if you have them available. If the camera will not recognize memory cards after being reset to factory defaults, there's likely a need for repair.

Have you tried it with a new SD card as memory cards do get damaged and do wear out. If the error still shows up with a new card its time to contact Nikon to get the camera repaired.
yes, I bought a brand new sandisk extreme and still didn't work

Since the problem is manifest with multiple cards pretty much indicates the camera is the problem, needs to be repaired, and there is no workaround.
If the cost to repair is close to the replacement cost just get a used (about $275) or refurbished (about $300) D3200, or upgrade .
Nikon D3200 24.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Zoom Lens

Did you use Nikon's service page and enter the camera serial number to see how much a repair might be?
I am not replacing this camera. It has sentimental value. If It was just about having a working camera, I would of gone out and bought a new camera.
I haven't checked yet. I was talking to the same guy who repaired my pentax, and he said it would be around $150 for him to do it. Haven't gotten a price from nikon yet.

Reset the camera to ALL factory defaults, to eliminate a number of possible points of error.Restoring Default Settings to Your Nikon D3200 - For Dummies

Try some small SD cards, like 4 gig ones if you have them available. If the camera will not recognize memory cards after being reset to factory defaults, there's likely a need for repair.
I will try that, thanks.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The D3200 is SDXC capable. SDXC supports SD cards up to 2TB whenever they make SD cards with that capacity.
SDXC = Secure Digital Extra Capacity.

I don't think the card capacity is at issue.
It's pretty clear that the camera is malfunctioning and will need to be repaired if you want to use it to make photographs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back