D3S vD750

Roba

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've noticed on are equivalent to eBay here in NZ, that the D3S is about on par with the predicted price of the 750.
With the AF being so good on the 750 and ISO also. Do you think the more modern technology has taken over from a great camera that is the D3S?
I know the frame rate is down... But!

Well only you can decide
It's tank build, 9fps, 4000 odd shots per charge, class leading high iso, unrivalled customisation, 1/8000 shutter rated to 400,000, flash sync 1/250

Vs

Higher resolution ,dynamic range, lighter, smaller, cheaper, built in flash, 1/4000 shutter rated to 150,000, flash sync 1/200.

I'm sure there are lots more difference to consider but which are important to you. Personally the d750 probably has everything I'd ever need. Pro bodies are of course desirable but prob only required by pros.

Oh I would love either jaomul! It was more a observation that the new tech is coming out at the same price as the older pro models.........

Actually reading this back, this happens in all things across the board!
Sorry for this pointless post. :)

Buy the 2 of them and send me the one you like least
:1247: LOL this never gets old
Just send me the one you dont like, jaomul doesnt really need it, he is too good as is ;) no need to incorage him more LOL

^^ I see by other thread you got a d750, sure you don't need 2 of them....

Why not ? Having 2 DSLRs of the same type saves a lot of lens changes, and gives you a backup in case one camera gets into trouble. This can be very helpful, depending upon what you are trying to do.

And about the D3s, I have no use for that camera simply because its too large and bulky. I can fit all my current equipment in an average backpack - no chance whatsoever to do the same trick with a D3s.

And yes the D3s has great build etc, but most of these features are not actually needed by me. The exception is of course the first class viewfinder, and of course I wouldnt complain about the shutter stats either, like 1/8000sec and flash sync 1/250s.

The D750 on the other hand has the newest Autofocus system from Nikon, a flipscreen, and a dedicated mode dial with U1/U2.

I've noticed on are equivalent to eBay here in NZ, that the D3S is about on par with the predicted price of the 750.
With the AF being so good on the 750 and ISO also. Do you think the more modern technology has taken over from a great camera that is the D3S?
I know the frame rate is down... But!

Overall, in total, I think for "most people", the D750 would be the better, more-preferred d-slr camera for daily use, and generalist uses, and for carrying. It is smaller, lighter, has higher resolution, better color depth, wider dynamic range; the D3s wins at High ISO by virtue of HUGE pixel wells, and only about 12 million of them, but in terms of EV difference, the D750 is right up there AND--this is the biggie, with an additional 12 million pixels which could easily be noise-reduced, or down-sized, to make the noise look a lot less objectionable at the ridiculous end of the ISO spectrum (12,000 and up).

The D750 is a half-height camera body, which makes it look and feel and carry in a more "consumer" way, which for most uses, is a good thing. The battery is nowhere near the performer the D3-series use. I do NOT see 1/8000 vs 1/4000 as an issue, and 1/250 flash synch vs 1/200 is a manufactured issue; that is 1/3 of a stop...not enough diff to quibble over, AND if you use Auto FP synch flash, it's MEANINGLESS.

The D750 is, according to the videographer guy from The Camera Store, the Canada-based company, the new leader in d-slr video, having eclipsed all of the Canon and Nikon d-slr cameras. He was very,very positive on the D750's video capabilities, and he is familiar with all of the major mirrorless and d-slr video capabilities. I think for "most" people, the overall feature set and the increased resolution, and the new metering and tweaked AF system, the new centralized video setting menu, and the U1 and U2 pre-set positions on the mode dial, the D750 is the new value leader, for $1,000 less than a D810, and also much less than the Canon 5D-III.

I shoot the D3x, which also uses the 4 banks + 4 shooting menu system the other D3 models use: what a useless PITA that is! BOTH sets are named A,B,C,and D!!! So we have A and A, B and B, C and C, and D and D--and ALL possible combinations. Ridiculous! And these insane letter + letter bank sets and menu sets cannot be permanently saved and written to a memory card or to the computer. I would LOVE to have two, dial-located, completely SAVE-ABLE, complete, total SETS of custom settings labeled U1 and U2. It would be soooooo helpful to have U1 for ambient light, and a second dial position just for flash + daylight, at U2. I would totally, totally go for that. Moving to U1 and U2 is a nod to the Canon 5D Mark III, and it signals the smart buyer that Nikon has aimed this camera squarely at the 5D-III market segment, but with better video and a measurably better sensor.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back